BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
advoss
Quartz | Level 8
Online documentation for PC/SAS enhanced editor says "Ctrl + Shift + W" will "clean up white space". I cannot see what actually happens when I press that combination.

Can somebody explain what "clean up white space" does?

Thank you and my apologies if this is not the appropriate forum to post this question in.

Al Voss
5 REPLIES 5
Stephane
Quartz | Level 8
An indirect answer : I wanted to use CTRL+: to comment a line and it doesn't work. I redefine the shorcut to CTRL+; and it works.
Change the shortcut to test the aim of this command.
advoss
Quartz | Level 8
You do know that, by default, Ctrl + / and Ctrl + Shift + / comment and uncomment a line, right?
Peter_C
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
before pressing Ctrl+Shift+W, press Ctrl+A

Ctrl+A selects all lines
Any trailing blanks on a line will become obvious (assuming selected text is obvious)

After Ctrl+Shift+W is pressed, the lines remain selected, but there will be no trailing white space.

PeterC
advoss
Quartz | Level 8
Okay, I get it... Very useful, but I might have called it "Remove trailing blanks". Oh well, that's just me.

Thank you.

Al
Peter_C
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
more useful, I find the do-group and parentheses keys

Inside a data step do-group press ALT+[ (or alt with any other brace/bracket/parenthesis key)

The cursor will jump between the DO and END of the do-group.
When the cursor is on a ( or ) and you press Ctl+[ the cursor jumps to the matching parenthesis.

Another useful key is not programmed by default 😉
Assign an enhanced editor key (like ctl+alt+S) to the enhanced editor macro function, "sort selection".

there are more gems to discover !

PeterC

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation