BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.

I don't think the functionality of the "$" symbol in regular expressions works in SAS.  The code I'm using:

data foo;
	input a :$1024.;
	datalines;
foobar
barfoo
food
westchester
freebeer
;
run;

proc sql;
	create table test as 
	select *
	from foo
	where prxmatch('m/^f.*r$/i', a);
quit;

I expect test to return "foobar" and "freebeer" however it returns an empty set. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
gamotte
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Hello,

This is because of trailing spaces :
prxmatch('m/^f.*r$/i', strip(a))

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
gamotte
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Hello,

This is because of trailing spaces :
prxmatch('m/^f.*r$/i', strip(a))
tomcmacdonald
Quartz | Level 8

OK, that seems to work.  I'm a bit confused about the syntax here.  I thought adding the ":" made the data type like a vary character with a maximum of 1024? 

Also when I use this code:

proc sql;
	create table test as 
	select length(a)
	from foo;
quit;

I don't see length of any additional whitespace added. 

When using this code:

proc sql;
	create table test as 
	select put(a, $hex16.)
	from foo;
quit;

I see the ASCII symbol for a space.  I take it SAS doesn't count white space in the length calculation? 

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@tomcmacdonald

As documented the SAS function LENGTH() returns the length of a string up to the last non-blank character. In SAS Foundation version 9.x all character variables are of type CHAR. VARCHAR doesn't exist. That's why you've got most of the time trailing blanks.

For RegEx: Either TRIM() or STRIP() the variable or then add the potential trailing blanks to your RegEx using \s*$

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation