BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
bfenton
Calcite | Level 5
I have a SAS job which emails a report to a number of internal e-mail addresses which has been running succesfully, but now I also need to send the report to an external email address which is causing problems.

I seem to able to send the report to reciepients where the address is of the type 'myemail@domain.com', but not if it is of type 'my.email@domain.com' - for this type of address I get a 'Message Status - undeliverable' message from my e-mail client saying

The message that you sent was undeliverable to the following:

my.mail.@whatever.com (501 5.5.4 Invalid Address)

i.e. it looks like the first character after the first '.' in the email address is being dropped, and an extra '.' is being added before the '@'.

I'm using SAS 9.1.3 SP4 with settings

EMAILAUTHPROTOCOL=NONE
EMAILHOST=LOCALHOST
EMAILID
EMAILPORT=
EMAILPW
EMAILDLG=NATIVE
EMAILSYS=MAPI

and using Groupwise 7.0 as email client.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Ben
4 REPLIES 4
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
From what you shared in the error message, there is a period character generated *BEFORE* the "@" in your EMAIL address.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
Bill
Quartz | Level 8
I'm able to send mail to firstname.lastname@gmail.com with these options:

-emailhost=usenet.xxxxxx.ca
-emailsys=SMTP

where "xxxxx" also happens to be the name of our domain.
bfenton
Calcite | Level 5
Exactly - so if I hard code

Email ("benfenton@whatever.com")

then Groupwise succesfully delivers the mail, but if I hard code

Email ("ben.fenton@whatever.com")

then Groupwise tries to send the mail to ben.enton.@whatever.com

Ben
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
The outgoing EMAIL recipient's address should be clearly listed in your SAS log -- so if it is missing the trailing period as generated by SAS, I would say that you have some non-SAS issue - do you agree? My suggestion is to check your SAS code and SAS log very closely to ensure that the error is not being generated by your code -- then if all looks well as the EMAIL leaves SAS, it's time to discuss the problem with your EMAIL system techies.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation