BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Roustabout
Calcite | Level 5

I work in the healthcare field and in my SAS code I frequently am looking at codes for different medications.  I usually create a macro variable like the following:

%let codes_ndc_lipitor = '0071015523' '0071015534' '0071015540';

Codes are stored as character variables in the SAS data sets I work with.  99% of the time I just include the above macro variable in an "IN" statement to subset out my data like this:

where (ndccode in (&codes_ndc_lipitor.));

This time I decided to get fancy and use the SAS macro language to create a format that includes the codes in the final formatting without quotes and with commas, like this:

Lipitor (0071015523,0071015534,0071015540)

So I need to create a line in Proc Format like the following:

value '0071015523','0071015534','0071015540' = 'Lipitor (0071015523,0071015534,0071015540)'

I would like to use the SAS macro language to do this because I may be looking at multiple medications and want any updates to the above drug list to change with that single macro variable that the top of my program.  I can get 99% of the way there but just cannot finish the Proc Format off.  Here is what I have so far:

%macro run_procformat();

proc format;
     value $ndc_fmt

%sysfunc(translate(&codes_ndc_lipitor.,%str(,),%str( ))) = %sysfunc(cat(%str(%'Lipitor %(),%sysfunc(translate(%sysfunc(compress(&codes_ndc_lipitor.,%str(%'))),%str(,),%str( ))),%str(%)%')))

other = "Other NDC"
;
run;

%mend run_procformat;

%run_procformat();

The left-hand side of the above VALUE statement (before the equals sign) in the above Proc Format works fine; that list of codes is properly formatted and ready to go.  The right-hand side (after the equals sign) is causing me issues.  I have tried with and without the CAT statement and received errors both ways. What I think is going on from the log is SAS is trying to help me out by inserting a quotation mark to close off that first missing one [the %str(%'Lipitor %(] when it would all work out if it just processed the whole thing.  SAS treats the double pipe (||) concatenate operator as text in the format so that has not worked.

I can get this to work if I use a DATA _NULL_ SAS data set and create a macro variable to handle the right-hand side above but I wanted to know if there is a way to do it all in the Proc Format without relying on another step.  If I can get this close, I believe it is possible and I am just missing something.  My apologies if this question has already been answered on the forum but I have already spent a couple of hours looking for solutions and do not have the patience to hunt around any more.  Thank you.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 1 in conversation