BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
almmotamedi
Obsidian | Level 7

The code is working now for all variables and the whole files! thank you so much 🙂

The only warning is this : WARNING: Limit set by ERRORS= option reached.  Further errors of this type will not be printed.

Reeza
Super User

That implies that you have errors still....but if you're happy.

Please mark the question as answered 🙂

And feel free to move towards, reading all files in now 🙂

almmotamedi
Obsidian | Level 7
Could you please give some hint regarding this warning and the possible error(s)?
Reeza
Super User

No...that warning is tied to another warning. It basically means it ran into the same error over and over so stopped warning you about it. 

There sould be other Warning in the logs.

almmotamedi
Obsidian | Level 7

I understand. All I see in the log is a series of "Invalid data for variable .. in line ....." for different variables and different lines.

But when I check my raw data (csv file), I don't see anything specical or wrong with the input data!!  

Reeza
Super User

Its not necessarily an issue with the csv data, its an issue with how SAS is trying to read the data, and a mismatch between the CSV and what ends up in the SAS dataset. It's identifying the variable so you can narrow it down and see what the issue is.  The error is usually fairly explicit in identifying the cause.

I'd strongly recommend fixing these before moving on. 

almmotamedi
Obsidian | Level 7
What do you mean exactly by "mismatch"?, in terms of what?

Also, the output for that specific line(s) does not show any irregularity ! and its pretty the same as the other output lines.

By any chance, could data format (two of the variables are "date" but entered as "numeric" but they look ok) cause this warning?
Reeza
Super User

SAS is telling you it did not find what it expected in a field.

It tells you the variables that you should be looking at in the ERROR. I don't know what's causing your errors. 

What's with all the exclamation marks in your writing?

almmotamedi
Obsidian | Level 7

I see. Trying to find the cause of warning .. thank you for your time and help.

The exclamation marks are for clarity of my writing and points I would like to mention.

Reeza
Super User

I'll refer you to the first and last paragraph in this blog post. I suppose it's up to you if this is considered a professional setting. 

https://purduecco.wordpress.com/2012/02/07/overused-exclamation-points/

Though I'm sure I have my own idiosyncracies that are annoying to others. ALLCAPS most likely 😉

almmotamedi
Obsidian | Level 7

So you try to teach grammar besides SAS? haha 🙂

I think its a good article: http://popchassid.com/americas-obsession-grammar-means  

Thanks for your comment though 🙂

Reeza
Super User

I'm not American 😉

almmotamedi
Obsidian | Level 7
Cultural things are contagious 😉
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

If you have your data in an XLSX file then you should be able to read it directly.  You do have to be careful with Excel files as they are SPREADSHEETS and not DATABASES.  So the user can put anytype of information into any cell, whereas a SAS dataset requires that a single column (variable) is of a constant data type.

libname myfile xlsx 'sample1.xlsx';

proc copy inlib=myfile outlib=work; 

run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation