BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
bhanuprakash
Obsidian | Level 7

when I am running the below code I am getting the below ERROR.

ERROR: File TEST.FORMATS.CATALOG was created for a different operating system.

program:

proc catalog catalog=test.formats;
contents file=formats;
run;

is there any way for converting the 32 bit catalog file to 64 bet catalog file (without using dataset converstion technique).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Just to be quite clear, the 32-bit catalog must be converted to a SAS transport file using 32-bit SAS. You can't convert a 32-bit SAS catalog with 64-bit SAS.

The person who produced this catalog in the first place must have used 32-bit SAS so they can produce a transport file for you. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
art297
Opal | Level 21

Not sure what you mean by dataset conversion technique that you don't want to use. A couple of conversion steps are desribed in the note at: http://support.sas.com/kb/44/047.html

HTH,

Art, CEO, AnalystFinder.com

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Just to be quite clear, the 32-bit catalog must be converted to a SAS transport file using 32-bit SAS. You can't convert a 32-bit SAS catalog with 64-bit SAS.

The person who produced this catalog in the first place must have used 32-bit SAS so they can produce a transport file for you. 

bhanuprakash
Obsidian | Level 7

sorry for the late reply and at that same time thank you so much for suggestions. 

If I have the source data set I am able to recreate format catalog file by using the proc format procedure.

But my question is can we have any procedure for converting directly 32-bit catalog to 64-bit catalog file ?

As 

Just to be quite clear, the 32-bit catalog must be converted to a SAS transport file using 32-bit SAS. You can't convert a 32-bit SAS catalog with 64-bit SAS.

I got the answer what I am expecting. Thank you 

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

Additionally to what already has been written:

I'd consider keeping the source code and eventually data used to create formats as good practice. If you've got this source code then you could also re-create the formats in the target environment using this source code instead of migrating the catalogs.

ballardw
Super User

To expand slightly on @Patrick's suggestion: It is very easy to work with. When you create a permanent format place it in a library and a cntlout data set that will allow recreation of the format:

Proc format library=test cntlout=test.formatcntlout;

/* format code*/

run;

Then if you need to recreate the format use that as a cntlin data set.

hollandnumerics
Pyrite | Level 9
Format catalogs are dependent on platform AND bit, so catalogs created using Windows and UNIX are not compatible, AND Windows 32-bit and Windows 64-bit create incompatible catalogs too!

Much better to specify formats in programs for whatever platform you are using, because that way they are always compatible!
Philip R Holland
Holland Numerics: Blog and Forums
http://blog.hollandnumerics.org.uk

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 6 in conversation