DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

ERROR: A character operand was found in the %EVAL function or %IF condition where a numeric operand

Occasional Contributor

ERROR: A character operand was found in the %EVAL function or %IF condition where a numeric operand

Attempting to evaluate a macro variable variable and getting the following error.

A character operand was found in the %EVAL function or %IF condition where a numeric operand is required. The condition was:
(&num2.) not in (3 3A)

Can anyone help?

Super User
Super User

Re: ERROR: A character operand was found in the %EVAL function or %IF condition where a numeric oper

Posted in reply to kimdukes77

Post the complete code around the error part, for instance what do you think &num is?  Why do I ask, it is because there is no such thing as number in macro language - it is purely a text find and replace system.  More complete code will show the problem, and likely show a better solution than doing this in macro in the first place.

Occasional Contributor

Re: ERROR: A character operand was found in the %EVAL function or %IF condition where a numeric oper

ok thanks, I think I know how to sort.

Super User

Posted in reply to kimdukes77

Your use of IN is incorrect, for a macro language statement.  Macro language uses a different syntax than a DATA step for the IN operator.  For correct usage, see this example:

http://support.sas.com/kb/35/591.html

Note that you will need to understand the MINOPERATOR and MINDELIMITER options, and will need to remove the parentheses.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation