BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
RB1Kenobi
Quartz | Level 8

Hello

When I'm using Enterprise Guide (7.1, 32bit) I use the "Disconnect" feature within the server window to reset my session without having to close it.  Therefore I do not need to re-open all the programs again.

Is there similar functionality within the base SAS (9.4) application?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

With Base SAS, the user interface (aka Display Manager) is part of the SAS session, and is discarded everytime the SAS session is closed.

With Enterprise Guide, the user interface is separate from the SAS session(s), so the list of programs etc (the "Project") can be preserved although the SAS session(s) is/are closed/lost.

So the answer to your question is no, at least for acceptable effort.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

EG is server based, so when you disconnect, it closes the image on server, and then opens a new one.  An installed application on your desktop you can close with the X at the top right, then double clik the icon to open a new one.  Effectively they are the same thing, although maybe one click or so more to aquire.

Is this perhaps that you are coding macros and your session falls over (unbalanced quotes or something).  If so then the way I used to do it was save in SAS session, then batch submit the saved SAS file (right click on file, batch submit), that runs in its own enclosed session, so any errors or missing quotes are confined to the batch session.

RB1Kenobi
Quartz | Level 8
Thank you for your response. I have far more experience on EG than the base application and I'm trying to get up to speed with base SAS.
On base I see an option to "Remote Submit", is this a similar thing?
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

Naming changes constantly but:

There is "Foundation SAS" - that's just the base license which you get always. And then you can add modules on top of it like SAS/Access, SAS/Connect, SAS IML,...

These are all the Server components.

And then there are the clients like SAS EG, SAS DI Studio, ....

The oldest client is the Windows Manager (I use to call this PC SAS even though it's not correct). This is just a Windowing environment which sits on top of your server - and that's why you can't "disconnect" from the server like with SAS EG where it's a client/server architecture.

You can use rsubmit (for which you need SAS/Connect) and spawn a child session. This way syntax errors like unbalanced quotation marks won't mess up your main session.

rsubmit executes server side so you could do the same using EG as client.

Sooo... I assume " the base application" means the old fashioned Windows Manager. Quite a few of the "old and very experienced guys" are stilll using this as their main client but if your not one of them then don't spend too much time to get into it. SAS Viya clients will be web based and there won't be a Windows Manager anymore (quite a change for some people...). Even SAS EG will cease it's existence as I understand it and will get merged into SAS Studio.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

I am going to take issue with the Old there @Patrick Smiley Happy

You are correct though, desktop based installs are slowly disappearing in favour of web based systems.  

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@RW9

LOL. I've been using "old" in the chinese meaning so it's expressing respect.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

With Base SAS, the user interface (aka Display Manager) is part of the SAS session, and is discarded everytime the SAS session is closed.

With Enterprise Guide, the user interface is separate from the SAS session(s), so the list of programs etc (the "Project") can be preserved although the SAS session(s) is/are closed/lost.

So the answer to your question is no, at least for acceptable effort.

RB1Kenobi
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks all for the insightful comments, I look forward to Viya!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation