BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
cmoore
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I am creating a framework which involves allocating scores to variables in columns. I have 6 variables that hold numeric data and I  

want to create a new flag with "Tie" or No "Tie" depending if any of the same numerics are featured in the list of variables and match the "highest score" column. I want the highest score column only allocated to one variable. Please see the red areas highlighted below. From the data attached you can see that there are variables tied with the numeric "5" which match the highest score column.Where there is a tie I want to use the variables in Green with the highest score in order to reassign the variable at the end of the process. This example should be reallocated from ACT_total_score to DR_total_score,

Would you happen to know the best way to do this?

Thanks

Chris

5 REPLIES 5
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

POst test data in the form of a datastep in your post.  Office files are dangerous and do not show structure.  Also, please show required output.  A simple datastep should be able to cover most of your requirements.

cmoore
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

Please see the data step below:

data tie;

set test3;

if ACT_total_score >0 and ACT_total_score = largest and CORP_total_score >0 and CORP_total_score = largest then Allocation = "True"; else Allocation = "False";
if ACT_total_score >0 and ACT_total_score = largest and DR_total_score >0 and DR_total_score = largest then Allocation = "True"; else Allocation = "False";
if ACT_total_score >0 and ACT_total_score = largest and EPB_total_score >0 and EPB_total_score = largest then Allocation = "True"; else Allocation = "False";
if ACT_total_score >0 and ACT_total_score = largest and FIN_total_score >0 and FIN_total_score = largest then Allocation = "True"; else Allocation = "False";
if ACT_total_score >0 and ACT_total_score = largest and IP_IT_total_score >0 and IP_IT_total_score = largest then Allocation = "True"; else Allocation = "False";
if ACT_total_score >0 and ACT_total_score = largest and RE_total_score >0 and RE_total_score = largest then Allocation = "True"; else Allocation = "False";
if ACT_total_score >0 and ACT_total_score = largest and TAX_total_score >0 and TAX_total_score = largest then Allocation = "True"; else Allocation = "False";
run;

Basically, I just want to flag between 8 variables where the numerics in the data are the same and match it to a value stored in a column that identifies the highest value out of the 8 variables. The data step above feels long winded especially when I have to write all of the possible matched outcomes across the 8 variables.

Thanks

Reeza
Super User

1. Create an array for your list of variables. 

2. Look at the MAX function to determine the highest value across an array

3. Look at WHICHN () tells you if a value is in the series, ie is 25 in list of array values or is the max in the list?

cmoore
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

Thanks for sending the information through. How does the Which function deal with ties where the same numeric is within the array? I would want the column to be populated with a character to identify duplicates within the array.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Sorry, you misunderstand, I was after some test data in the form of a datastep, not the logic.  You can follow this post:

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/How-to-create-a-data-step-version-of-your-dat...

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation