Accepted Solution

Do Loop

data WORK.LOOP;
X = 0;
do Index = 1 to 5 by 2;
X = Index;
end;
run;

Q) Upon completion of execution, what are the values of the variables X and Index in the SAS data set
named WORK.LOOP?

The answer given is X = 5, Index = 7

Can someone kindly enlighten me?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Wednesday
Trusted Advisor

Re: Do Loop

The do loop

DO index=1 to 5 by 2;

x=index;

end;

tells SAS to

1. Assess INDEX at the top of the loop to see whether index satisfies the condition needed to run another iteration.
  2. Increments INDEX by 2  at the bottom of the loop.

So when index=5, the loop runs an iteration (and x=5).  At the end of that iteration INDEX is incremented to 7, then SAS goes to the top for assessment of index.  It exceeds 5, so the do loops are finished, leaving X=5.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Super User

Run the step yourself and insert PUT statements or using data step debugger to follow variable value assignments.
Data never sleeps
PROC Star

Using put statements carefully between statements helps us to know what's happening during each iteration and why(logic aka the loop's exit)

data WORK.LOOP;
X = 0;
do Index = 1 to 5 by 2;
X = Index;
put x= index=;
end;
put index=;
run;

put x= index=;-->X=1 Index=1
put x= index=;-->X=3 Index=3
put x= index=;-->X=5 Index=5
put index=; -->Index=7  loops exit

Does this help at all?

New Contributor

Posted in reply to novinosrin
Thank you for your replies. Apologies for the newbie questions as im new to SAS. I just thought that intuitively, it should stop at 5 since it exits at 5. I guess I have a lot to learn!
PROC Star

@cow240wrote:
Thank you for your replies. Apologies for the newbie questions as im new to SAS. I just thought that intuitively, it should stop at 5 since it exits at 5. I guess I have a lot to learn!

No need for Apologies . There aint somebody who is more dumb than me when i started learning sas. Cheers!

Solution
Wednesday
Trusted Advisor

The do loop

DO index=1 to 5 by 2;

x=index;

end;

tells SAS to

1. Assess INDEX at the top of the loop to see whether index satisfies the condition needed to run another iteration.
  2. Increments INDEX by 2  at the bottom of the loop.

So when index=5, the loop runs an iteration (and x=5).  At the end of that iteration INDEX is incremented to 7, then SAS goes to the top for assessment of index.  It exceeds 5, so the do loops are finished, leaving X=5.

Frequent Contributor

The question is very trivial and basic, however you @cow240 could mark one of the answer as accepted  and answered

☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation