BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
tbanh
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi all,

Screen Shot 2016-11-07 at 11.20.12 AM.png

Hi all, I have a longitudinal data set where the above dates are nested by household and person. The above are dates for one person and one household. I would like to compute the difference between two subsequent dates without creating a lagged variable. Is this possible? Thanks and all help is appreciated.

11 REPLIES 11
Astounding
PROC Star

It's easy, but you are missing some of the description.  When should the variable not be calculated?  When beginning a new household?  When beginning a new member of the household?

Here's an approach that assumes you should get no differences whenever the member of the household changes:

proc sort data=have;

by household member date;

run;

data want;

set have;

by household member;

days_difference = dif(date);

if first.member then days_difference=.;

run;

Similar to the LAG function, the DIF function must execute on every observation in order to get the right answer. 

tbanh
Fluorite | Level 6

Screen Shot 2016-11-07 at 2.10.26 PM.png

Here's more of the data set. I would like to compute the difference for each unique basebrgy (household) and basewman (person) combination. And if there is no date, I would like it to not compute anything.

Astounding
PROC Star

Then the code I gave you is the right approach.  You just need to change the variable names.

Also, DATE cannot be a character string.  DATE has to be a numeric variable stored on SAS's usual scale for storing dates.

tbanh
Fluorite | Level 6

I have a different question but related to the same dataset. I am trying to create a singular ID variable for each household and person combination. This is the code I have currently that sort of gets at what I am trying to do:

data subset2;
	set subset2;
	by basebrgy basewman;
	ID + 1;

if first.basebrgy OR first.basewman then ID = 1;

run;

Here is what the output looks like:

Screen Shot 2016-11-09 at 11.39.42 PM.png

For the ID variable, I'd like it to be a column of 1's for basebrgy = 1/basewman = 12 and a column of 2's for basebrgy = 1/basewman = 14. Hope I was clear enough. Thanks for any help.

PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

Not sure I understant but wouldn't this simply be:

data subset2;
	set subset2;

if basebrgy = 1 and basewman = 12 then ID=1;
   else if basebrgy = 1 and basewman = 14 then ID=2;
   else;

run;
tbanh
Fluorite | Level 6

This works but subset2 is a subset of the much larger dataset. I would like to automate the process instead of doing it manually.

Astounding
PROC Star

You're playing with the right tools, but you need a slightly different combination:

data want;

set have;

by basebrgy basewman;

if first.basewman then ID + 1;

run;

This is definitely a topic worth spending time on to understand.  Many DATA steps create BY variables.

tbanh
Fluorite | Level 6

I tried your code but it only produced 1 for the first observations of each combination. I would like 2 for the second combination. Any ideas?

Astounding
PROC Star

The code worked just fine for me.  Can you post the log from your attempt?

tbanh
Fluorite | Level 6

1867  data subset2;
1868      set subset2;
1869      by basebrgy basewman;
1871      if first.basewman then ID = 1;
1872  run;

NOTE: There were 18 observations read from the data set WORK.SUBSET2.
NOTE: The data set WORK.SUBSET2 has 18 observations and 7 variables.
NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time):
      real time           0.01 seconds
      cpu time            0.01 seconds

Here's the output:

Screen Shot 2016-11-10 at 1.11.49 PM.png

tbanh
Fluorite | Level 6

Never mind, I figured it out. I set ID = 1 instead of ID + 1

sas-innovate-2024.png

Today is the last day to save with the early bird rate! Register today for just $695 - $100 off the standard rate.

Plus, pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation