BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Ishwarkumar
Obsidian | Level 7

i want know, what is the difference between these two programs.

1. data c;

set a;

where city = "london";

run;

2. data c;

set a;

if city = "london";

run;

8 REPLIES 8
PaulHomes
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

In your example I would use option 1 as it can utilize an index on the city variable in dataset a (if such an index exists and would be beneficial). There are several articles on the differences between where and if and with more complex scenarios. A nice short one to get you started is SAS Usage Note 24286: When do I use a WHERE statement instead of an IF statement to subset a data se...

Personally I use where where I can and if if I have to 🙂

Ishwarkumar
Obsidian | Level 7

if both the programs are executing. then, why to use both.

PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

Lets assume that city is some variable that you yourself have calculated further uo in your datastep. Then example 1 will not work, since city does not exist in the dataset in your set statement. Example 2 however will work, since this is a subsetting if statement.

PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

In example 1 you utilize that dataset a contains the variable city.

You are not sure about that in example 2 where you are using a socalled "subsetting if statement". This means that you reach the implied output and return statements at the end of your datastep if that condition is true 🙂

Ishwarkumar
Obsidian | Level 7

if we use 'where statement'. then, it we read only one observation (where city = "london";), and if we use 'subsetting if statement'. then, it will read all the observations and gives the result.

PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

If I understand your post correctly, you want to use BOTH the where statement and the subsetting if statement. This is not a good idea. 

My rule of thumb:

If the variable city exists in your input dataset: Use where statement

If you created the variable city yourself: Use the Subsetting if statement.

When in doubt: Use the subsetting if statement 🙂

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

A developer shouldn't be in doubt. Man Wink

WHERE is always preferred because of better performance.

IF should only be used for subsetting if WHERE isn't possible to use.

Data never sleeps
Ksharp
Super User

WHERE-- filter obs before it enter PDV.

IF -- filter obs after it enter PDV.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 5 in conversation