BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
sumitpratap
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello, I can see sashelp views corresponding to dictionay tables.But I don't know where to find Dictionary tables.

I want to know the exact path of Dictionary tables.I want to browse then as a can with VTABLE.

I want to see then through explorer.

Can anyone help me out ???

4 REPLIES 4
Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

you are talking about the SAME thing with different angles. SAS dictionary tables are metadata VIEWS that you can access using two ways, which you already know.

1. sashelp V tables. From this angle you can browse it using SAS explore window.

2. Proc SQL Dictionary libname. This libname is NOT a regular libname, it is longer than 8 character and you can't find it using explore window. I mainly use this approach when doing subset involving WHERE clause, it is much faster than SASHELP VIEW. I forgot but there is a reason for that recorded in SAS doc, maybe someone can dig out for you.

Hope this can help to clear up your doubts,

Haikuo

Peter_C
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

If you DESCRIBE the view in proc sql it will report the underlying dictionary table

proc sql;

describe view Sashelp.Vmember ;

quit ;

That revealed it reports dictionary.members

2     proc sql;

3      describe view Sashelp.Vmember ;

NOTE: SQL view SASHELP.VMEMBER is defined as:

select *

from DICTIONARY.MEMBERS;

4    quit ;

NOTE: PROCEDURE SQL used

So describe the underlying table:

8    proc sql ;

9    describe table dictionary.members ;

NOTE: SQL table DICTIONARY.MEMBERS was created like:

create table DICTIONARY.MEMBERS

(

libname char(8) label='Library Name',

memname char(32) label='Member Name',

memtype char(8) label='Member Type',

dbms_memtype char(32) label='DBMS Member Type',

engine char(8) label='Engine Name',

index char(3) label='Indexes',

path char(1024) label='Pathname'

);

10   quit ;

NOTE: PROCEDURE SQL used

Paul_Kent_SAS
SAS Employee

the "tables" inside DICTIONARY dont exist as SAS datasets anywhere.  they are "created" in real time as you reference them.  presenting the information in a tabular format is useful for many reasons, and many database systems have these "schema information tables".

so for example, when you query DICTIONARY.LIBNAMES, the SQL software asks the SAS supervisor for a list of libnames defined "at this moment", and packages up the answer as if it really were a table.

thats why using a where clause can be important.  select * from DICTIONARY.COLUMNS; means opening every dataset, in every visible libname, to inspect its column names - these are not stored centrally with SAS, they are stored distributed in each dataset.   WHERE libname = 'FRED' allows us to skip all the other libraries

sumitpratap
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks Paul...this has really helped me...

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation