BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
garag
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I'm trying to delete a SAS dataset from my explorer window but I get the message. The file LIBNAME.DATASETNAME.DATA does not exist.

The file really does not exsist in my phisical directory (may be it has been deleted in the past) but he dataset still continue to be showed in my explorer under the library LIBNAME.

I've tried to create a file with name DATASETNAME as copy of another dataset and try to delete it from explorer but I still get the same message.

I've tried to save a dataset with the same name (DATASETNAME) and then I've treid to delete it from my explorer but I still get the same message and the dataset is still present in the explorer.

Do there is a way to remove the dataset icon from my explorer?

Many thanks.

1 REPLY 1
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

It might be that you libname is pointing to multiple directories and it is confusing explorer window?  Check the definition of the LIBNAME you are using.   For example if your libname is DATA1 then you could submit this statement and see in the log a lot of information about the libname.

libname data1 list;

Are you sure you are looking at the list of members for the library that you think you are looking at?  Try opening a new window using the DIR command.  Again if your actual libname is DATA1 use the command DIR DATA1 from the command prompt.  Or submit the line

dm 'dir data1';

Are you using Unix?   Filenames on unix are case sensitve. SAS dataset file names should be in all lowercase letters.  Perhaps the Explorer window doesn't know this and is listing a file that has an invalid name.  For example if your dataset is DATA1.FRED the file should be named fred.sas7bdat.  If it is name instead Fred.sas7bdat then SAS will not see it.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation