BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Yura2301
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

Is there some way to define if some SAS table is demaged, without throwing error to the log?

Error looks like: 

ERROR: The open failed because library member ...is damaged.

Maybe some sas function or some filter on dictionary.tables etc.

Thanks!

12 REPLIES 12
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Hi,

Some questions.  What were you running to get that error.  What SAS version, OS etc.  Have you tried re-starting SAS and trying again.  Only help page I could see was: 16086 - MODIFY may generate READ ACCESS VIOLATION and FILE libref.member.DATAIS DAMAGED messages

Yura2301
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Rw9,

I'm runing under aix, SAS 9.3.

Thanks for the link, will take a look.

Ksharp
Super User

You can use proc datasets to fix it . But as my experience , it is very little chance to fix it all.

libname x v9 'c:\temp';
data x.class;set sashelp.class;run;

proc datasets library=x;
repair class;
quit;

Xia Keshan

Ksharp
Super User

You can use proc datasets to fix it . But as my experience , it is very little chance to fix it all.

libname x v9 'c:\temp';
data x.class;set sashelp.class;run;

proc datasets library=x;
repair class;
quit;

Xia Keshan

Yura2301
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Ksharp,

I would like to have possibility just to get list of all demaged tables, for example from some library, I wouldn't repair them for now,  just collect all such data sets.

Thanks!

Ksharp
Super User

Oh. You could try OPEN() , if it return 0 then the table might be ruined .

Yura2301
Quartz | Level 8

Hi again,

I thought about that function but it returns 0 also in case if table does not exists physycally.

Maybe there is sence to combine open function with fexist, but again, if open func. return 0 and file exists phisically - is it right rule that define SAS demaged table?

Thanks!

Ksharp
Super User

you can select these exist tables from dictionary . like :

proc sql;

select memname from dictionary.members where libname='SASHELP' and memtype='DATA' ;

quit;

Yura2301
Quartz | Level 8

Hi again,

Yes, sure, so you propose such rule for separating demaged tables:

1. Exists in dictionary(or sashelp)
  2. Open function returns 0

Ok, will rely on that for now:)

Thanks!

Yura2301
Quartz | Level 8

Looks like next simple condition define demaged tab:

%let id=%sysfunc(open(&TableName));

%if  %sysfunc(exist(&TableName)) & &id=0 %then %do;

%let flag=damaged;

%end;

%else %do;

%let rc=%sysfunc(close(&id));

%end;

But after open dataset it should be closed, so it can be a little bit unsafe if that code will be run on production env., some tables can be needed in exact that moment for someone, maybe for insert/update etc.

As I know open function by default executes with "I" parameter, that is only for read, but still not sure if it will not impact somehow on another possible process on table.

Offcource lock can be done before but it's also bad idea to lock table even to miliseconds on production.

So if there is some way to define if table is demaged without open it- it would be great.

Generally I would like to define such tables without locking them and without puting error to the log.

Thanks!

Ksharp
Super User

contact sas Technical Support to see if they have a good solution.

JonathanWill
Obsidian | Level 7

OK, I admit this is a pretty ancient thread but I've just had an issue with damaged datasets on a server that ran out of diskspace.  I've been trying to answer a very similar question - How can you test programmatically if a dataset is damaged and was surprised how little information there is out there.

My solution is to use the open() function and then check the sysmsg() for the word 'damaged'.   The open() function does not automatically put an error into the log (it puts a note), which meets the original requirement.

Here's the macro I've knocked up.  I've chosen to output the sysmsg() so I get the error, but it could be done silently.  Not sure I want to attempt to repair everything so I've made that optional and I'll probably scan first to see what it finds.  Ideally it would record if a repair was successful - not sure if you can get the success of the repair from proc datasets, sysrc may be useful but the definition of 'successful' is open to interpretation - for instance most of the repairs I've seen indicate some data loss.

%macro checkAndRepair(dsn, repair=N);
  %local dsid msg;

%if %sysfunc(exist(&dsn.)) = 0 %then %put WARNING: &dsn does not exist.;
  %else %do;
    %let dsid=%sysfunc(open(&dsn.,i,,D));                                                                                             
    %if (&dsid=0) %then %do;  
      %let msg=%sysfunc(sysmsg());                                                                                                         
      %put &msg.;  
      %if %index(&msg.,damaged) gt 0 %then %do;
        %if &repair. = Y %then %do;
          %put Attempting to fix...;
          proc datasets nolist lib=%scan(&dsn,1,.);
            repair %scan(&dsn,2,.);
          quit;
        %end;
      %end;
    %end; %else                                                                                                                                 
     %put NOTE: &dsn. opened succesfully.;                                                                                                  
    %let dsid=%sysfunc(close(&dsid)); 
  %end;
%mend;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 9 likes
  • 4 in conversation