BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hello,

I have a macro that applies a DELETE * to several SAS tables, but the space in disk doesnt change, how can I really delete the records from the table, instead of marking them as deleted.

Thanks in advance.
4 REPLIES 4
ArtC
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
It would be helpful to know how you are deleting the observations. FSEDIT? IML?
As a general rule observations marked for deletion are removed the next time the data set is reprocessed. Such as with a PROC SORT. In IML you can use the PURGE statement.
Peter_C
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
the sql delete statement is good where the objective is conditional deletion subject to a where clause. DELETE * implies all rows, a bit like TRUNCATE.
A SAS equivalent to TRUNCATE might work with this PROC DATASETS combination [pre]option _last_ = ;

%let your_lib = %scan( WORK.&syslast, -2, . ) ;
%let your_mem = %scan( &syslast, -1, . ) ;

proc datasets library= &your_lib nolist ;
delete newTab / mtype= data ; * just in case it already exists ;
run ;
* now copy required structure to the new entry ;
append base=newtab data= &your_mem(obs=0) ;
run ;
* next remove old data ;
delete &your_mem / mtype= data ;
run ;
* finally rename temporary structure with original member name ;
change newtab=&your_mem ;
run ;
quit ;[/pre]
Append is used because it will copy all indexes and integrity constraint definitions as well as column definitions, and it uses "copy" when the base= table doesn't exist.
Patrick
Opal | Level 21
Hi Peter

Nice code which preserves all indexes and integrity constraints!
This mimics something like a REORG statement in PROC DATASETS which I hope SAS R&D will give us one day.

I've run into two minor issues while running your code over a sample dataset:
1: %let your_lib = %scan( WORK.&syslast, -2, . ) ;
I believe this should be without the 'WORK.'

2: append base=newtab data= &your_mem(obs=0) ;
'obs=0' results in deletion of all records, also the ones which are not marked as deleted.

Else: Everything run like a charm.

Thanks
Patrick
Peter_C
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Patrick
re: . . obs=0
I wasn't expecting to do a REORG for this poster. I assumed he wanted to truncate the table with DELETE * and release the deleted space - i.e. not just mark for deletion ...
> I have a macro that applies a DELETE * to several SAS
> tables, but the space in disk doesnt change, how can
> I really delete the records from the table, instead
> of marking them as deleted.
Of course, you may be right that I misunderstood the objective.

As to that trick with WORK.
Should the syntax be embedded in a macro, I would expect the parameter passed to be a one or two level name.
From that &name %scan( &name, -1, . ) always returns the memname, but %scan( &name, -2, . ) won't return the libname if &name is just a one-level name (implying the work library). Hence %scan( WORK.&name, -2, . ) should find WORK where there is no "." in &name.
Of course, it might catch out my accustomed approach in development where I use the user option or lib-ref to catch all one-level names in a permanent dataset 😉

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation