DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

Delete empty columns

Contributor

Delete empty columns

What's the easiest way to remove empty columns/variables from a data set? As in when I get a subset of data from my main dataset, if there are columns which are empty/null in that subset, how do I write a program to remove such variables from the subset?

Thanks!

Super User

Re: Delete empty columns

data class;
 set sashelp.class;
 call missing(name,age);
run;

ods select none;
ods output nlevels=temp;
proc freq data=class nlevels;
tables _all_;
run;
ods select all;
proc sql noprint;
 select tablevar into : drop separated by ' '
  from temp 
   where NNonMissLevels=0;
quit;
data want;
 set class(drop=&drop);
run;
Contributor

Is there a way to do this without specifying the names of the variables? 

Super User

???  That was exactly what I am doing . No need any variable name, just run the code and gave you what you want .

Super User

Instead of worry about empty columns, why not just keep the ones that you actually need?
Data never sleeps
Contributor

It's like this, these variables have values for certain years. But  are empty for some years. So when I want to extract a dataset for a particular year from the main dataset, I want in that dataset all the null columns not to appear. Could you advice me how to do this?

Super User

1. Take control over your data. This could involve having a meta data table containing information of which variables appear what years. Then you could dynamically build a keep statement during you filtering. Or
2. Search these forums for a more generic solution. There have been multiple similar inquiries the last couple of months.
Data never sleeps
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 3 in conversation