BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Leon27607
Fluorite | Level 6

Is there some way to reference column names? I mean deleting observations in a ROW is easy but is there a way to delete COLUMNS that are named a certain way?

Example of what my data might look like:

ID:                            A    A_HET  B   B_HET  C   C_HET  D   D_HET                                   

41234                      0           0     2

12351                      1           1     1

41256                      0           0     0

54432                      2           0     0

etc...

I basically want to delete ALL columns with "HET" in them. I know for rows you could simply write "If colname := "HET" then delete" but how do I do this the "other" way around?

4 REPLIES 4
collinelliot
Barite | Level 11

I would use metadata to create a macro variable to use in a drop statement.

proc sql noprint;
  SELECT name INTO :dropMe SEPARATED BY ' '
  FROM sashelp.vcolumn
  WHERE libname = 'YOURLIB' AND
                memname = 'HAVE' AND
                prxmatch('/het$/i', strip(name)) > 0;
quit;

data want;
  set have;
  drop &dropMe;
run;
Reeza
Super User

If you have control of your naming conventions, if you name the variables with a consistent prefix this can be very simple. Unfortunately it doesn't work for suffixes. 

Drop het_: ;

Leon27607
Fluorite | Level 6

@Reeza I don't really have control of the naming conventions. The data I'm working with deals with human subjects so I can't go into too much detail about it, however the names basically are like what I mentioned XXXXXX and XXXXXXX_HET for everything. I was hoping I could delete all the columns with _HET first, then rename the remaining columns to XX1, XX2, XX3, etc.... so I can do analysis easily just by doing a loop. I am just having trouble thinking about how I can reference the column names or maybe their positions because their names are very different and it would be troublesome to do "rename XXXXXX = XX1" for every single one of them.

collinelliot
Barite | Level 11

Renaming all your variables does not necessarily have to be that much of a hassle. The following code gives an example of how you could use metadata to flip "_het" to "het_" for many variables. It would have to adapted to the particulars of your data, probably, but this should give you an idea. 

data have;
    retain a_het xx_het zdfe_het b_het a234_het 0;
    x = 1;
run;

proc sql;
    SELECT catx('=', name, prxchange('s/(\w{1,28})(_)(het)/\3\2\1/i', -1, strip(name))) INTO :renameMe SEPARATED BY ' '
    FROM sashelp.vcolumn
    WHERE libname = 'WORK' AND
          memname = 'HAVE' AND
          prxmatch('/_het$/i', strip(name)) > 0;
quit;

data want;
    set have;
    rename &renameMe;
run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation