BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
gauravp1993
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello,

Is it possible to import CSV and decrypt data column which is AES encrypted via key?

Regards,

GP

5 REPLIES 5
andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

No, I don't think this is possible. An encrypted file is binary, not text.

gauravp1993
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Andreas,

Only two column out of 8 has been encrypted using AES and being collectively sent as csv file. Is it still not possible to decrypt?

Thank you.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

So you are saying you have a text file, which has several data columns divided by commas, and some of those data columns have had some algorithm applied to them.  If so then you need access to that algorithm and the solving code, and then you would apply it to the data once you have read the data into SAS.  There is no un-encode coded data function as far as I am aware.  I would ask why you have chosen to go this route in the first place of encoding some data.  It would be far simpler, and more secure, to protect the whole file - most apps can do it, e.g. zip - and send the whole file like that via secure FTP or Web Portal.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Only if the encrypted value was converted to readable code, eg with base64 encoding.

Because encryption would get you values that sooner or later will contain delimiters and therefore break your file structure. Raw encrypted values and separators don't work together.

And from the documentation I get it that only complete files, not separate columns, can be encrypted.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
You can encrypt/encode specific fields and store the result. Like if you create a hash in SAS with md5 and then create file using the hex. format as an example.
But like mentioned above there is no decrypt function in SAS. But if you have access to a third party binary you can call it from SAS using CALL MODULE.
Data never sleeps

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation