BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
problems99
Calcite | Level 5

Hello

Here is my dataset:

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2015/24/1433856711-capture.png

I would like to do something like that:

data forecast2;

set fort_nb01;

if (d_report='01MAR15'd and  (actual>upper or actual<lower)) then output fort_nb01(where d_report>='01JAN15'd);

run;

Of course it doesn't work but I tried thousands ways to do that (dubble if, if/where, select,...) and, when it works, I always can have only the row with '01MAR15'd but I would like (if this condition is true) rows from '01JAN15' to the end.

This problem seems very easy but I still have not found a solution.

Thanks for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Astounding
PROC Star

Each SET statement can have its own WHERE statement.  This approach (untested) should work:

data want;

if _n_=1 then set have (where=(d_report='01MAR2015'd and (actual>upper or actual<lower)) );

set have;

where d_report>='01JAN2015'd;

run;

If the first SET statement retrieves 0 observations, the DATA step will be over.  If it does find an observation meeting all 3 conditions, the second SET statement is free to read all observations (subsetting based on its own WHERE statement).

Note that you are treading on thin ice if you use two-digit years!

Good luck.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Its a good idea to post test data in the form of a datatep and required output.  At a guess:

proc sql;

create table WANT as

select     *

from        (select * from HAVE where DATE >= "01JAN15"d)

where     ID in (select distinct ID from HAVE where ACTUAL > UPPER or ACTUAL < LOWER);

quit;

problems99
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks but it is not really what I want. I was not clear, sorry.

I would like something like that : (I know it is totally impossible in SQl but it is to show the idea)

proc sql;

create table WANT as

if (date='01MAR15'd and ACTUAL > UPPER or ACTUAL < LOWER) then {

select *

from  (select * from HAVE where date >= "01JAN15"d);

}

quit;

I check only the condition for March. If true, I create a new table with the rows from JAN to the end anyway the result of the condition for these months.

Thanks.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Still the same code, your just thinking about the problem in the other way round. 

proc sql;

create table WANT as

select     *

from        (select * from HAVE where DATE >= "01JAN15"d)

/* So take all data from original dataset with a date after 01JAN15 *.

where     ID in (select distinct ID from HAVE where (DATE="01MAR15"d and (ACTUAL > UPPER or ACTUAL < LOWER));

/* But restrict the main dataset to those ID's having on the Mar, actual outside the bounds */

quit;

problems99
Calcite | Level 5

Stupid question but what is ID in my case?

Thanks.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Some identifier in you data, e.g.

ID          DATE     ACTUAL          UPPER     LOWER

1               ....

1               ..

2               ..

Astounding
PROC Star

Each SET statement can have its own WHERE statement.  This approach (untested) should work:

data want;

if _n_=1 then set have (where=(d_report='01MAR2015'd and (actual>upper or actual<lower)) );

set have;

where d_report>='01JAN2015'd;

run;

If the first SET statement retrieves 0 observations, the DATA step will be over.  If it does find an observation meeting all 3 conditions, the second SET statement is free to read all observations (subsetting based on its own WHERE statement).

Note that you are treading on thin ice if you use two-digit years!

Good luck.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation