DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

Data null Question

Accepted Solution Solved
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Data null Question

Hi community, I have come through some kind of excercises and I would much appreciate your ideas. I have also done my research in SAS documentation but I still have some questions on the following: 

What would this code do and what results could possibly return? 

data _null_;

x = sleep(2);

run;

Thank you 

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎09-25-2015 06:23 AM
Super User

Re: Data null Question

Posted in reply to geronimo44
data _null_ tells SAS not to create a data set while executing this particular data step. There is no specific connection to the sleep function. You use a Data _null_ statement in this situation to pass commands to the system that you only want to execute once.

Sleep tells it to pause between commands, usually as a safety precaution to wait for another process to finish.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Super User

Search support.sas.com for data _null_. It should give you plenty of hits.

And secondly, you have a piece of code. Please don't ask what it does - try it yourself and observe...

Data never sleeps
Trusted Advisor

Also, the HELP documentation for the SLEEP command is extremely clear.

Occasional Contributor

Posted in reply to PaigeMiller

Thanks for the replies. Apparently I am not able to run the code cause my academic license expired and that's why I threw it in the community board. I also am aware of the Sleep functionality but since I am unable to run the code, I can't see how teh data_null connects to the sleep function.

In any case thank you for your consideration. 

Solution
‎09-25-2015 06:23 AM
Super User

data _null_ tells SAS not to create a data set while executing this particular data step. There is no specific connection to the sleep function. You use a Data _null_ statement in this situation to pass commands to the system that you only want to execute once.

Sleep tells it to pause between commands, usually as a safety precaution to wait for another process to finish.
🔒 This topic is solved and locked.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation