BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
y_fu
Fluorite | Level 6

I have a large data set, and I need to create 2x2 tables to do some further calculation.

Part of he dataset looks like this:

data X_data

X_target1_result  Y_target1_result  result

Negative            Positive   

Negative            Positive 

Positive             Negative

...                       ......

Where the "result" column is empty, since I have multiply targets to compare, so I need to generate a Macro to do it.

The macro code is:

%MACRO compare(data, target, comp);
    data data1 (replace=yes);
       set &data;
     %if "&comp._&target._result"="Positive" %then %do;
           if "Y_&target._result"="Positive" then "result"=TP;
           else if "Y_&target._result"="Negative" then "result"=FN;
      %end;
      %else %if "&comp._&target._result"="Negative" %then %do;
           if "Y_&target._result"="Positive" then "result"=FP;
           else if "Y_&target._result"="Negative" then "result"=TN;
      %end;
run;

*********more proc sql and other code **********

%MEND;

**********************************************************************************

So When I run this Macro in the main program:

%include "&macropath.compare.sas";

%compare(X_data, target1, X)

This ends up give me the column "result" in data1 still empty, not fill with TP, TN, etc.

What mistake did I make and how to solve it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

Better would be to provide some example data and the calculations you need to do from those 2x2 tables. For example Proc Freq will do risks, risk differences, odds ratios and relative risks for 2x2 tables without much work.

You don't want to use %if / %then/ %do inside a data step when manipulative values of data step variables. Also if you want to use a variables value in a data step do not place the macro code for the name inside quotes. 

if &comp._&target._result="Positive" then do;
   if Y_&target._result="Positive" then "result"=TP;
   else if Y_&target._result="Negative" then "result"=FN;
end;

Second might be to consider coding text values lf "Positive" and "Negative" as 1 and 0. Use a custom format to assign desired display text as needed.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Use the following option before you run your macro.

options mprint;

Then run it again and show us the SASLOG. No, wait, you try to figure out what the error is from the SASLOG, and if you can't figure it out, then show us. Please click on the {i} icon and paste the RELEVANT parts of your SASLOG into the window that appears.

--
Paige Miller
ballardw
Super User

Better would be to provide some example data and the calculations you need to do from those 2x2 tables. For example Proc Freq will do risks, risk differences, odds ratios and relative risks for 2x2 tables without much work.

You don't want to use %if / %then/ %do inside a data step when manipulative values of data step variables. Also if you want to use a variables value in a data step do not place the macro code for the name inside quotes. 

if &comp._&target._result="Positive" then do;
   if Y_&target._result="Positive" then "result"=TP;
   else if Y_&target._result="Negative" then "result"=FN;
end;

Second might be to consider coding text values lf "Positive" and "Negative" as 1 and 0. Use a custom format to assign desired display text as needed.

Astounding
PROC Star

First this warning .... you should not be using macro language.  Not yet anyway.  You need to understand base SAS first or macro language will be useless.  Taking your program as an example, there is no SAS statement that looks like this:

"result" = FN;

If you want to refer to a variable named RESULT you would use:

result = FN;

Same thing here:

"Y_&target._result" =

should be

Y_&target._result =

In terms of getting the macro to work, you have done well to get rid of some of the percent signs.  Now get rid of the rest.  

if   (not %if)

do   (not %do)

end   (not %end)

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation