BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SRINIVAS_N
Calcite | Level 5

I am new to sas can any body tell me what is the difference between sas studio,sas enterprise guide and sas windows environment

5 REPLIES 5
AlanC
Barite | Level 11

Old to new:

Sas Windows (DMS)

EG

SAS Studio

Best to worst (balance of technical vs functionality):

EG

SAS Studio

DMS

Preferred by seasoned SAS users:

DMS

EG

SAS Studio

Pick your platform. If I had my druthers, I would use EG. Best mix, powerful, sharp developers, etc. SAS Studio looks really good but early loaf in oven. Try it out and watch the progress. Long-term? Probably the winner but could be a bit out. DMS is like ISPF. Takes some getting used to so I wouldn't try unless you are a seasoned SAS pro. It is not better, just an old security blanket a lot of us like.

My opinion, YMMV.

https://github.com/savian-net
TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

My feeling, personal opinion only, is that we're going to see DM start to fall by the wayside, as it needs to be kept current for multiple platforms, which is a tremendoius expense.

EG and Studio have very similar concepts underlying them. I wouldn't be surprised if we see them start to merge, with EG being the fat client, more functionality version (simply because you can do more with a Windows fat client), and Studio becoming what you use when all you have is access to a browser. I think an investment in learning either of them will be well worth it.

Tom

ballardw
Super User

@AlanC wrote:

Old to new:

Sas Windows (DMS)

EG

SAS Studio

Best to worst (balance of technical vs functionality):

EG

SAS Studio

DMS

Preferred by seasoned SAS users:

DMS

EG

SAS Studio

Pick your platform. If I had my druthers, I would use EG. Best mix, powerful, sharp developers, etc. SAS Studio looks really good but early loaf in oven. Try it out and watch the progress. Long-term? Probably the winner but could be a bit out. DMS is like ISPF. Takes some getting used to so I wouldn't try unless you are a seasoned SAS pro. It is not better, just an old security blanket a lot of us like.

My opinion, YMMV.

Don't forget the BATCH that ran before any of the interfaces and than many organizations use for many tasks still. That is still the heart of the beast.

AliceCheng
Fluorite | Level 6

I have used DMS, SAS/EG and SAS Studio before.

One of my former companies have allowed programmers to use either SAS/EG and SAS Studio.

Since most programmers were using SAS/EG then, most programmers did not make the switch.  

SAS Studio has its limitation.  Based on my recent search in a SAS document, SAS Studio can, by default, displayed only 100 observations in a dataset and the number of variables displayed is also limited.  

For DMS, one has to manually close any datasets one has opened to view the datasets.  This can be good and bad.  On the positive note, it can prevent programmers from accidentally overwrite an existing dataset.  (Note:  this can be prevented if one uses the ACCESS=READONLY in your lIBNAME statement.)  If one views a dataset and has not closed the viewing window for that dataset, DMS will not overwrite that the opened dataset.  Instead, you got an error in the SAS log.  This is a bit inconvenient since one has to manually close all these window views!  I have a macro that automatically closes those viewing windows for me.  

In addition, in DMS system, if one is interested in seeing a particular variable, one has to search for that variable in the entire dataset.  That is not an easy task if you have a dataset with lots of variables.  SAS/EG is a system that allows Point and Click.  One can Point and Click to see a particular variable.  

Based on my experience, nowadays SAS/EG is the most commonly used interface.  

Just my 2 cents!

Alice

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 6 in conversation