BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SASPhile
Quartz | Level 8
I'm using DDE to export data to excel.
phynumber has leading zeros and they are getting truncated in excel.how to avoid this?
it is defined as phynumber '09'x in the put statement.
6 REPLIES 6
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
You really need to share your SAS-generated code, preferably pasted into your post/reply from your SAS log output.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
SASPhile
Quartz | Level 8
filename BodyStf dde "excel|[Pharmacy Template.xls]RX Data!targetdata" notab;
data _null_;
set all;
file BodyStf lrecl=15000;
put

phynumber '09'x
Name '09'x
prsc_addr_1 '09'x
prsc_addr_2 '09'x
run;

the dataset all has phynumber as 00102049 but when exported to excel the it is displayed as 102049.
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
The '09'x is the hexadecimal equivalent of a TAB character. It looks like you are writing into an Excel file with TABs as the delimiter for the columns. Can you set a custom format in Excel for the phynumber column to show leading zeroes????

The only other way that I know to have Excel respect leading zeroes is to use the Output Delivery System to send a Microsoft format for Excel to use when it opens the file. The method that you use with ODS depends on whether you are using ODS HTML-based methods or XML-based methods, as described in this post:
http://support.sas.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=41019ꀻ

It is possible that you could write a command (via DDE) to format the phynumber column, but I don't do much with DDE, so I don't know what such a command would look like.

cynthia
SASPhile
Quartz | Level 8
There is a way actually to preformat the cell programatically.
c1 is the column that needs the performating.

data _null_;
file cmds;
put '[select("C1")]';
put '[format.number("@")]';
run;
polingjw
Quartz | Level 8
One method that I have used to solve this problem is to append an invisible character to the every value of the variable before exporting to Excel. To add an invisible character, hold the Alt key and type the digits 255 on the numeric keypad, with NumLock on. Upon import, Excel will recognize the value as text and keep the leading zeros. The only problem is that you will not be able to perform numeric computations on that column from within Excel.
SASPhile
Quartz | Level 8
There is a way actually to preformat the cell programatically.
c1 is the column that needs the performating.

data _null_;
file cmds;
put '[select("C1")]';
put '[format.number("@")]';
run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation