BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Yura2301
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

So I try to append SAS data set with a  lot of columns(~100) to DB2 table:

LIBNAME db2Lib DB2  DBCOMMIT=10000  ...;

proc append base=db2Lib.db2Tab data= SASData;

run;

For some portion of SAS data append works ok and add needed data to DB2 table, but for another portion - it failed with CLI error:

ERROR: CLI execute error: [IBM][CLI Driver] CLI0111E  Numeric value out of range. SQLSTATE=22003

In SAS log file no info in what exact numeric column issue happened, I also don't like idea sequentially append separate columns for finding  needed one...

On DB2 forums I found that the columns can be easy detected from DB2 session log, but I haven't appropriate rights for accessing DB2 log file, all what I can do - it's query(or insert,update) DB2 table from SAS.

So if there are some smart way for detecting the column  in which similar issue happened?

May be there is possibility somehow direct DB2 log into some SAS server folder etc.? I tried sastrace option but it didn't helped...

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

From the SAS perspective, I don't think there a "smart way", you need more or less manually detect which column/value pair that is causing the error.

Guessing that the easiest way is getting help from your DB2 DBA.

Yet a reason for not having wide tables... 😉

Data never sleeps
Yura2301
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Linus,

Thanks for the answer:)...

DB2 DBA is on long vacation:)

I've just made small script that replace all numeric values in table by "1" value, and tried append the test data to DB2 table - same error...

I thought I'll simply exclude statements : "numColName=1;" from the script and in such way will define needed column, but looks like issue isn't so obvious as I thought...May be there are some problem with nulls,date(datetime) columns also...

Will look deeper to the issue...I just feel that I spend time on things that can be done more efficient, but I'm not sure:)

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Check the value of the numeric value in DB2. It can easily contain many many digits. You can be fooled by intrepretation issues.
And by the way IBAN (International Bank Account Number - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) is no number.

SAS/ACCESS(R) 9.4 for Relational Databases: Reference, Second Edition (Data Types for DB2 under z/OS)

Not all datatypes of DB/2 are supported. The question will be weather you are able to see some layout as DB/2 knows it.

It could be a bug like: IBM JR34268: CLI0111E NUMERIC VALUE OUT OF RANGE WHEN EXTRACTING DECIMAL DATA USING DB2 CLI ODBC DRI... . As you have worked before with the data and tools it is not likely. This one is specific to a ODBC type.

The most reliable way to connect to DB2 is using DB2 with SAS on mainframe. What SAS version / server you are using?    

42119 - An error is issued when you attempt to register a DB2 table in metadata (bigint issue translation on numbers)

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Yura2301
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Jaap,

I still use SAS 9.1.3, your remark regarding numeric columns with many digits looks like possible reason of the issue...

Now I'll working on script that will automatically find column in SAS dataset that has value biggest then maximal allowed for needed DB2 datatype(decimal, smallint etc.).

Thanks for help!

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

What you could do is to get the max value from each column, and then match that with the DB2 data types, could at least save some work...

Data never sleeps

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 3 in conversation