BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Amanda_Lemon
Quartz | Level 8
@novinosrin and @Reeza, thank you both! I understood both approaches. Thanks again for your help!
Amanda_Lemon
Quartz | Level 8
One more question -- is there a similarly easy way to do the reverse procedure, i.e., transform a wide data set into a tall one?
Reeza
Super User

PROC TRANSPOSE! It goes both ways 😉

Long to Wide

https://stats.idre.ucla.edu/sas/modules/how-to-reshape-data-long-to-wide-using-proc-transpose/

Wide to Long

https://stats.idre.ucla.edu/sas/modules/how-to-reshape-data-wide-to-long-using-proc-transpose/

@Amanda_Lemon wrote:
One more question -- is there a similarly easy way to do the reverse procedure, i.e., transform a wide data set into a tall one?

Amanda_Lemon
Quartz | Level 8

It works! Thank you!!

A follow-up question: I am not quite sure which of my variables are attributes of a person (i.e., don't vary within a person between Time 1 and Time 2) and which are attributes of a test (different values for Time 1 and Time 2 for the same person). Is there an easy way to find out which variables are which? 

The best option I found so far is to split the file into two: one file with Time 1 values and another file with Time 2 values, and then use proc compare. It gives me a table with unequal values... but I thought maybe there is a way that I can get a LIST of variables with unequal values and a LIST of variables with equal values so that it's easier to copy-paste in proc transpose? (I have about 600 variables, so I am really looking to automatize this process...).

Any ideas would be highly appreciated!

Reeza
Super User

Working on a very similar problem at the moment. I test it out by checking if the max=min for the variables in question across the person ID. 

This is easier done in SQL than a data step because PROC SQL will allow the max/min functions to be used on character variables. 

novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

You could play with this approach

proc means data=have noprint;
by id;
var _all_;
output out=want(drop= _:) std=;
run;
proc transpose data=want(obs=1) out=w;
run;
proc sql;
select _name_ into :by_group separated by ' '
from w
where col1 = 0;

select _name_ into :tranpose_var separated by ' '
from w
where col1 ne  0;

quit;
/*by group and transpose lists*/
%put &by_group;
%put &tranpose_var;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation