BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
sschleede
Obsidian | Level 7

I am programming in SAS 9.4 for Windows and reading a PDF document which has variable labels with values. It looks something like:

Name: Sue

Today's Date: 04/25/2018

I have been able to read the PDF document and get a dataset with 3 records that looks like:

FieldName       values               labels

Name               Sue                   Name

Todays_Date    04/25/2018      Today's Date

Age                   54                     Age

I would like to create a dataset with 1 record that looks like:

Name          Todays_Date     Age

Sue             04/25/2018           54

I am looking for ideas on how to do this.

I tried writing code that used macros but the macro is just putting in the line FieldName = values instead of the 3 lines

Name = values, Todays_Date = values and Age = 54:

data Have;
	length FieldName $ 20 values $ 20 labels $ 20;
	FieldName = 'Name';
	values = 'Sue';
	labels = 'Name';
	output;
	FieldName = 'Todays_Date';
	values = '04/25/2018';
	labels = "Today's Date";
	output;
	FieldName = 'Age';
	values = '54';
	labels = 'Age';
	output;
run;

%macro Assign(FN, Value, Labels);
	&FN. = &Value.;
	%put &FN.;
	%put &Value.;
%mend;

data Want;
	set Have;
	%Assign(FieldName, values, labels);
run;

proc print data = Have;
run;

proc print data = Want;
run;
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

This make a set that looks like your shown output:

proc transpose data=have out=want (drop=_name_);
id fieldname;
var values;
run;

However due to the way Transpose uses ID variables this would not be very extendable.

Also this does not change any variable types, so the data and age still strings.

PDF is a poor data interchange medium. If you have access to Adobe Acrobat Pro you might try selecting the data in that program and then using the export to file feature to create something bit more amenable.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@sschleede

I'm assuming this is only sample data and you're after a generic solution which works for any number of columns and rows.

To fully automate this you would need additional information like data type (num or char), length and at least for dates also a format.

If the data is as it is then what you could do is to first create a text file (data _null_ with put statements) and then convert this text file to a SAS table using Proc Import (=use SAS to guess and assign the missing information like data type).

sschleede
Obsidian | Level 7

Writing out to file and reading back in was another good alternative.

ballardw
Super User

This make a set that looks like your shown output:

proc transpose data=have out=want (drop=_name_);
id fieldname;
var values;
run;

However due to the way Transpose uses ID variables this would not be very extendable.

Also this does not change any variable types, so the data and age still strings.

PDF is a poor data interchange medium. If you have access to Adobe Acrobat Pro you might try selecting the data in that program and then using the export to file feature to create something bit more amenable.

sschleede
Obsidian | Level 7

Complete agreement on PDF being very bad for data transfer, but it is what we have. We are working on reading the XML files that come with the PDFs in parallel. But, they have their own set of problems.

The Proc Transpose worked like a charm. I will need a second data step to structure all the data (data types, labels, etc.), but this gets the data roughly right.

I did go down a couple of other paths but they were very convoluted.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation