BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Aditi24
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

Is there a way to create multiple SAS sessions of single user on Unix server? The requirement is to sign on to the unix server and create multiple sessions of SAS .On every session a dataset will be processed.

4 REPLIES 4
Shmuel
Garnet | Level 18

It is possible to execute SAS several times. Have you tried ?

Sven111
Pyrite | Level 9

This shouldn't be a problem, I run multiple jobs all the time.  You should be able to kick off the jobs straight to the background by adding a & sign to the end of the command starting the job, or several other ways using standard UNIX procedures.  I frequently use a terminal multiplexer (GNU Screen, tmux, etc.) to run several jobs if I want to monitor them.  SAS is basically just another UNIX program, generally you can start as many as you want or as many as your system can handle.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

If your SAS sessions are just running SAS code without any user interaction then consider running these as SAS batch jobs. You can set these up via SAS Management Console if you prefer using a GUI tool.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

This depends very much on how you run your codes.

Enterprise Guide provides a mechanism to run several nodes within a project in parallel. The necessary server processes are automatically started.

You can also start several EG's on your desktop and start a workspace server in each.

Batch jobs (from the commandline) can easily be run in parallel, the method depends on the operating system.

And it is possible to run several independent SAS Studio sessions on the same server from the same browser instance.

Being the administrator of our SAS server, I have installed several mechanisms to limit the number of SAS sessions per user, so that a single user can't occupy more than the fair share of the server. But that was added after SAS setup.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation