BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
santosh_pat69
Quartz | Level 8

Hi All,

I am trying to create a Pivot table on Excel using SAS, i am working on SAS EG/ SAS 9.4 on

Operating System: LIN X64.

We cant use DDE here as it only supports/works on windows, i hav tried using the

ods tagsets.tableeditor but theis job needs to be run in batch mode the pivot table cannot be created.

I have also tried creating the Pivot using VB-Script for some reasons its not working.

Couls you provide me your valuable suggestions to get the pivot tables working?

Regards,

Santosh...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Oligolas
Barite | Level 11

Hi,

I use the ExcelXP Tagset on a windows system to create my excel data sheet as XML. Using SAS I create a VBA file that performs the Pivot and saves the file as native XLSX file, refreshes the file(required by excel to get the pivot filter to work) and saves it again in place. Afterwards the VBA deletes the XML and itself. In the VBA I am performing many other checks such as checking if the XML file exists and can be edited (sometimes it is slow on networks)

I use excelXP because of its proven, working and highly customizable functionalities.

The VBA support websites are legion on the internet. An excellent paper on how to write the VBA for the pivot can be found here: http://www.mwsug.org/proceedings/2011/dataviz/MWSUG-2011-DG10.pdf

You will need to check if it works the same on linux.

Cheers,

- Cheers -

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Yavuz
Quartz | Level 8
"Proc transpose" makes pivot table in sas. Then export table as excel file. You can use that excel in slides or link with other sheets. For proc transpose is this link is useful.i tried and it works.

http://stats.idre.ucla.edu/sas/modules/how-to-reshape-data-long-to-wide-using-proc-transpose/
santosh_pat69
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Yavuz,

Thank you for your suggestions!!!!

i need to create an interactive Pivot table, while using the Transpose options i can only align / reshape the variables and observations.

Reeza
Super User

Tagsets.TableEditor can run from batch, I don't know any reason it couldn't.

To create a native pivot table, you'll need to interface with Excel somehow. One suggestion, is to create the pivot table in Excel as a template, but update the data behind the table and force the excel file to update when it's opened. This would be export into an existing file and should work fine in Unix or Windows. 

Ideally, a VB Script or DDE would be the solution here.  

Reeza
Super User

When you say 'PIVOT' table what are you referring to, a cross tabulation table or an interactive pivot table within Excel? 

santosh_pat69
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Reeza,

An interactive pivot table on Excel. I have also tried creating a pivot table using

ods tagsets.tableeditor,as i have mentioned earlier the job needs to be run in batch mode, and beacuse of the Active X and Java pop-ups the pivot is not getting created.

art297
Opal | Level 21

Post your vbs script. Possibly one of us can identify why it isn't working. A nice simple example can be found at:

https://listserv.uga.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0506a&L=SAS-L&O=D&F=P&X=FB41D225061C8C7F9B&P=62191

Art, CEO, AnalystFinder.com

santosh_pat69
Quartz | Level 8

hi,

Please find the vba script which i want to call using sas, i wiil be adding the Pivot creation part.

Reeza
Super User

Do you have x command enabled? 

If so, you can run the script using that, but not sure how VBA works on Unix. 

I'm not going to download a script and it doesn't matter really what's in the script if you don't have a way to run it. 

Oligolas
Barite | Level 11

Hi,

I use the ExcelXP Tagset on a windows system to create my excel data sheet as XML. Using SAS I create a VBA file that performs the Pivot and saves the file as native XLSX file, refreshes the file(required by excel to get the pivot filter to work) and saves it again in place. Afterwards the VBA deletes the XML and itself. In the VBA I am performing many other checks such as checking if the XML file exists and can be edited (sometimes it is slow on networks)

I use excelXP because of its proven, working and highly customizable functionalities.

The VBA support websites are legion on the internet. An excellent paper on how to write the VBA for the pivot can be found here: http://www.mwsug.org/proceedings/2011/dataviz/MWSUG-2011-DG10.pdf

You will need to check if it works the same on linux.

Cheers,

- Cheers -

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 like
  • 5 in conversation