BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Hercules
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello all,

I have a table with three column.

Column 1->User_Name

Column 2 -> User_Password

Column 3 -> Description

I want to make a SAS script through which users will create without SMC.

I have gone through some threads and documents which has shared and got an idea that it has to be achieved by some macros.

Example %mduextr, %mducmp, etc. But can't relate how to play with it.

Can somebody explain it to me? Has anybody done it before?

9 REPLIES 9
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

User_Password -- seriously?  Have you discussed this idea with your security personnel?

Hercules
Fluorite | Level 6

Haha.. Yes.

Can you tell me how to create users through sas code? Smiley Happy

sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

For "your system/environment/OS", what steps/tasks actually entail creating a user -- list what activities you would expect to perform/complete, such as the last step being some type of notification EMAIL to the user/recipient/direct-manager, for example?

Hercules
Fluorite | Level 6

Sorry sbb, I lost you.

For your previous query. Yes it has been confirmed from the admin that this is what he wants from me as there are 10000 users needs to be created for a task, which is practically not possible manually from SMC. And on further note, that table is locked for all user and is only accessible by the DBA.

I just want to know how can I create users from Base SAS?

Can you please help?    

sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

From the info provided, this appears to be interest to create a large number of users in the SAS Management Console (SMC), as a batch process/task.  Chapter 1 of the SAS 9.3 Management Console Guide mentions this specific point as a TIP, under the topic "About User Administration".

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Correct Scott, it is batch processing for enterprise environments. Think at 100+ users.  As Anant is mentioning 10000 that is a fit.  With that number of users have a look at

metacoda (Paul / Michelle Homes) Synchronizing SAS Platform Identities - platformadmin.com . These are built around the same macros-s. Extracting the metadata is more easy to start with, just retrieving.  SAS(R) 9.4 Intelligence Platform: Security Administration Guide, Second Edition It shows the tables that are in used and could be modified.

The tables are identified by that keys-id SAS(R) 9.4 Intelligence Platform: Security Administration Guide, Second Edition that must be unique.  This one is not commonly filled when doing manual updates with SMC. When left blank they are excluded.

As you probably are having an IAM system (central user registration) you could use those convention that are in place (unique keys person-id's) 

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Hercules
Fluorite | Level 6

I was just reading the document which you've shared earlier in your previous thread. And I was getting close to it. Was about to ask that if I want to leave a table blank such as phone table and email table, what repercussions would it have. And then your reply came at that very moment. Smiley Happy

II shall try this tomorrow and will get back to you.

Thanks a lot for the help Jaap, as always.

Hercules
Fluorite | Level 6

Yup got it. It's done.

In those data set by using set statement of my table.

Also had to make users in Linux as well, did it by using X command inside the macro. Now it's Parameterized. :smileygrin:

Thanks Jaap

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Well here we do it the other way round. Users are defined in the OS (AIX), and SAS synchronizes the metadata with the UNIX user base through a batch program.

Tables with certain additional data (like phone numbers) can always be created as dummy-tables.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation