ID__ X__N1__N2__N3
4___1___1
4___2___1___1
4___2___1___1
5___1___2___1
7__ 2___2___2
7__ 2___2___2
7__ 3___2___2___1

In NX I want the number of ID:s where X have been found.
When I stopped above, X=1 had been found for ID:s 4 and 5, so N1=2.
X=2 in ID:s 4 and 7, so N2=2.
X=3 in ID 7, so N3=1.

I insist that the counting should be done in a data step.

I don't think I can use FIRST or LAST.

Can anyone help me?

Susan
4 REPLIES 4
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Yes, it's possible with a DATA step, I would say - you want to do something of the following "like" process, but honestly, I'm still not 100% clear that I understand some of the derived observation values you've shown:

1) Sort your data.
2) Using PROC SQL or some other technique, derive a max value for X to a macro variable to use later with an ARRAY and getting a var range for N1-N&max
3) Using a DATA step, do the following:
3a) Read in your sorted file to create another file.
3b) Setup an array with a numeric variable set, N1-N&max.
3c) With a BY and using IF FIRST.ID and LAST.ID, increment by one the array using X as the array subscript.
3d) Assign a var OBSNUM = _N_ -- must use later to merge new vars back into your original file.
4) Merge your file from #3 above back onto your original file using OBSNUM as your BY variable - you will need to assign a var OBSNUM in your original file first, of course.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
deleted_user
Not applicable
In N(X) I want the number of ID:s(let's say individuals) where X have been found.

That must be easy to understand.

If there are a total of 10 ID:s, and ID=2 have e.g 754, or whatever, instances of X=3 and ID=5, have e.g 28, or whatever, instances of X=3, and the remaining 8 individuals have no occurrence of X=3, then N(3) should be 2, because in two different ID:s there were at least one occurrence of X=3.

I don't understand how FIRST.ID and LAST.ID could be of any help. Could you please explain.

Susan
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Agreed - no need for the BY and FIRST/LAST processing, rather consider some technique for counting/summarizing (FREQ or SUMMARY maybe, or a DATA step, where there you would use FIRST. and LAST. to count occurences of N (not involving ID). So work through the challenge, one step at a time, writing a piece of code to address one portion, and then assembling the pieces, like a puzzle.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20
This should do:
[pre]
data _null_;
retain NN:;
array VAL(3,7) _temporary_; * will store whether any crossing has been found;
array NN(3) ; * will sum the crossings for a X;
input ID X; * read data;
VAL(X,ID)=1; * ID/X crossing found;
NN(X)=0 ; * initialise NB of crossings found so far;
do IDNUM=1 to 7; * count NB of crossings found so far;
NN(X)+ val(X,IDNUM) ;
end;
put ID X NN1-NN7;
cards;
4 1
4 2
4 2
5 1
7 2
7 2
7 3
run;
[/pre]
It outputs:
[pre]
4 1 1 . . . . . .
4 2 1 1 . . . . .
4 2 1 1 . . . . .
5 1 2 1 . . . . .
7 2 2 2 . . . . .
7 2 2 2 . . . . .
7 3 2 2 1 . . . .

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation