BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
TXSASneophyte
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Y'all,

Please be patient with my explanation as my request is a tad cumbersome.

I have data that looks like this:

ID

SEQNO

For every unique ID, I created the programming variable called "SEQNO". I cleaned the data, so the SEQNO values are no longer complete; however, they still go from smallest to largest value for each ID. What I need now is to do a count called NUM based on the following three conditions:

• A unique ID may only have one observation, so it will only have one SEQNO value [please refer to IDs: 101, 102]. For this condition, NUM is 1.
  • A unique ID may have multiple observations, with the SEQNO values going in numerical order [please refer to IDs: 103, 106]. For this condition, NUM is 1, regardless of the number of observations.
  • A unique ID may have multiple observations, with the SEQNO values going in numerical order but also containing breaks in order [please refer to IDs: 104, 105]. For this condition, NUM starts as 1 but then adds 1 for every break it encounters.

(Quick note, SEQNO value does not always start at 1; however, the key point is the numerical order).

Here's one way of how the table I want may be:

ID

SEQNO

NUM

Even though in the table above, I kept every observation, I do not need every row. So an alternate table that I can use could be:

ID

SEQNO

NUM

(Do not worry about the SEQNO, it was just a programmatic variable meant to help me clean the data).

I am using SAS 9.4

Let me know if my request needs additional clarifications.

Muchas Gracias!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

Assuming your data is in the order shown then BY group processing does what you want. We can make both tables in a single pass.

If I understand the requirement:

data want1 want2;
   set have;
   by id;
   retain Num;
   DifSeq= dif(Seqno);
   if first.id then Num=1;
   else if DifSeq>1 then Num+1;
   if last.id then output want2;
   output want1;
   drop difseq;
run;

Or alternatively instead of separate output sets have a flag set for the second group instead of Output want1 such as:

Group2Flag=Last.id; and remove the want2 and If last.id ... statement.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ballardw
Super User

Assuming your data is in the order shown then BY group processing does what you want. We can make both tables in a single pass.

If I understand the requirement:

data want1 want2;
   set have;
   by id;
   retain Num;
   DifSeq= dif(Seqno);
   if first.id then Num=1;
   else if DifSeq>1 then Num+1;
   if last.id then output want2;
   output want1;
   drop difseq;
run;

Or alternatively instead of separate output sets have a flag set for the second group instead of Output want1 such as:

Group2Flag=Last.id; and remove the want2 and If last.id ... statement.

Astounding
PROC Star

That's a good approach.  A small point ... I think what you meant is:

else if DifSeq > 1 then ...

ballardw
Super User

@Astounding wrote:

That's a good approach.  A small point ... I think what you meant is:

else if DifSeq > 1 then ...

Good catch!.

TXSASneophyte
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks for the help you two! I was thinking of the "By" function but wasn't sure how to handle the breaks in numerical order. Your code makes sense and best of all, it works! 🙂

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 3 in conversation