BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
owenwqp1
Obsidian | Level 7

I applied the code provided in this topic to convert character variable to numeric, it works quite well for individual data sets.But when I apply the code in macro, I meet problems. When I use "proc sql" to find out character variables in data sets, SAS tells me that there are no character variables in the data sets but actually there are some. I don't know why, so could you kindly help me out? 

%macro sic2_state(i,j);

data &j&i;
		set &j&i;
	run;
	proc sql;
	create table char_cur&j&i as 
		select name from dictionary.columns where libname='WORK' and MEMNAME="&j&i" and type='char'; 
quit;
%mend;
%sic2_state(1999,Connecticut)
%sic2_state(1999,Florida)
%sic2_state(1999,Indiana)
%sic2_state(1999,Tennessee)

Thanks a lot! Cheers, Owen

2 REPLIES 2
Astounding
PROC Star

Within dictionary.columns, all the MEMNAME values are stored in uppercase.  So the initial hurdle to overcome is to change the MEMNAME criterion to:

and memname = upcase("&j&i")

owenwqp1
Obsidian | Level 7
@Astounding Thank you so much Astounding! That's the point! Regards, Owen

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation