BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
jdgriffin
Fluorite | Level 6

I am working with a small dataset (see attached) that has time coded into fractional years. For example: 1990.1456, 1991.3568, 1991.5689...

Is there an INFORMAT that would allow me to read this variable in as a SAS date?

Thank you for any help you can offer. 

-John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
4 REPLIES 4
jdgriffin
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you for the reply. So that I am understanding correctly, I am basically calculating the non-integer difference in years between my date and the SAS reference date, then converting it to integer days?

This is straight forward. I appreciate it. 

mkeintz
PROC Star

There is no such informat.

However,  you could calculate the date value (or is it really a datetime value?), by

1. Extract the year portion, i.e. the integer
  2. Take the decimal portion and determine the corresponding datetime and multply by 24*60*60*(365 or 366) to get number of seconds into the  year if you want date-time values.

data want;
  set have;
  year=floor(time);

/* Get number of seconds in the year, accomodating leap years */
  secondsinyear=24*60*60*intck('day',mdy(1,1,year),mdy(1,1,year+1));

datetimevalue=dhms(mdy(1,1,year),0,0,0) +
                secondsinyear*mod(time,1);

datevalue=datepart(datetimevalue);
  format datetimevalue datetime20. datevalue date9.;
run;

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

--------------------------
jdgriffin
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks for the reply. I suppose you are correct that it could be considered a datetime given its level of accuracy. I'll be sure to give this a try as well. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation