BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Haydn
Quartz | Level 8

Hi All,

I have a date at the beginning of my code. %let crundate=161028; 

I need to use the above to return '28Oct2016' as a date

and "28 October 2016" as a string

and "oct2016" as a string

and if possible the 1st and last day of the month (in this case October)

I use this  %let ssrundate=%substr(&crundate,1,4);   to return '1610'. But I cant seem to get any other formats I want.

The reason I need this, is that there a numerous sas files dropped into my folders and all have different naming conventions.

Examples: FileAoct2016, FileB28Oct2016, FileC1610 (FileA, FileB ect are not the actual names, but the dates at the end are actual values).

In addition I would like to use the 161028 to returns date values as mentioned above

%StartofMonth = &crundate ( this would return 01Oct2016) atm I'm coding this as  %let StartofMonth= "01Oct2016"d;

%EndofMonth = &crundate ( this would return 31Oct2016) atm I'm coding this as  %let StartofMonth= "31Oct2016"d;

%Drundate= &crundate ( this would return oct16) atm I'm coding this as %let Drundate= oct16;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LaurieF
Barite | Level 11

SAS does it all very nicely for you, with just a couple of additions, assuming I've understood you correctly.

For a start, it makes things much easier if you store your date value as "days since 1 Jan 1960", or 20755 in this case. The easiest way to do this is to use the %sysevalf function:

%let rundate = %sysevalf("28oct2016"d);  /* which requires you to reformat your date, of course */

Alternatively: 

%let rundate = %sysfunc(inputn(161028, yymmdd6.));

Now, the intnx function is your friend. This will return the beginning, middle or end of a period ('month' in this case, obviously). Couple that with some formats and you're away.

%let startofmonth = %sysfunc(intnx(month, &rundate, 0, b), date9.);
%let endofmonth = %sysfunc(intnx(month, &rundate, 0, e), date9.);
%let drundate = %sysfunc(putn(&rundate, monyy5.));

%put &startofmonth &endofmonth &drundate;

This displays:

01OCT2016 31OCT2016 OCT16

Note that this will return 1OCT2016 etc. To convert that in macro code is a little ugly, but will be reliable:

%let endofmonth = %substr(&endofmonth, 1, 3)%lowcase(%substr(&endofmonth, 4, 2))%substr(&endofmonth, 6, 4);

If you want to see 1 October 2016 instead (which doesn't require the substringing):

%let startofmonth = %sysfunc(intnx(month, &rundate, 0, b), worddatx.);

Your other option, to return the year and month:

%put %sysfunc(putn(&rundate, yymmdd4.));

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
LaurieF
Barite | Level 11

SAS does it all very nicely for you, with just a couple of additions, assuming I've understood you correctly.

For a start, it makes things much easier if you store your date value as "days since 1 Jan 1960", or 20755 in this case. The easiest way to do this is to use the %sysevalf function:

%let rundate = %sysevalf("28oct2016"d);  /* which requires you to reformat your date, of course */

Alternatively: 

%let rundate = %sysfunc(inputn(161028, yymmdd6.));

Now, the intnx function is your friend. This will return the beginning, middle or end of a period ('month' in this case, obviously). Couple that with some formats and you're away.

%let startofmonth = %sysfunc(intnx(month, &rundate, 0, b), date9.);
%let endofmonth = %sysfunc(intnx(month, &rundate, 0, e), date9.);
%let drundate = %sysfunc(putn(&rundate, monyy5.));

%put &startofmonth &endofmonth &drundate;

This displays:

01OCT2016 31OCT2016 OCT16

Note that this will return 1OCT2016 etc. To convert that in macro code is a little ugly, but will be reliable:

%let endofmonth = %substr(&endofmonth, 1, 3)%lowcase(%substr(&endofmonth, 4, 2))%substr(&endofmonth, 6, 4);

If you want to see 1 October 2016 instead (which doesn't require the substringing):

%let startofmonth = %sysfunc(intnx(month, &rundate, 0, b), worddatx.);

Your other option, to return the year and month:

%put %sysfunc(putn(&rundate, yymmdd4.));

Haydn
Quartz | Level 8
Thanks for you reply,

Sorry I should have mentioned that 161028 also still has to be returned as that is also appended to file names. Both %let rundate = %sysevalf("28oct2016"d); /* which requires you to reformat your date, of course */ and %let rundate = %sysfunc(inputn(161028, yymmdd6.)); return 20755. Was the above supposed to return that?
LaurieF
Barite | Level 11

Oh, I see. If you start off by converting your input string into a SAS date value, you have all the flexibility you need. So, starting off with:

%let crundate = 161028;

followed by:

%let rundate = %sysfunc(inputn(&crundate, yymmdd6.));

That will leave crundate effectively as a text string (although macro variables are untyped) and can be used as such, and rundate with a value of 20755. What I meant with the alternatives was that it was two ways of doing exactly the same thing. In retrospect, the second one seems closer to what you want.

I hope I've made things a little clearer…

Haydn
Quartz | Level 8
Thanks Laurie, Your solution worked a treat! 🙂
LaurieF
Barite | Level 11

Excellent. Glad to help. %sysfunc is really your friend. 

Haydn
Quartz | Level 8

Hi again,

The code that Laurie gave me works in that it returns date values (thanks again Laurie). However, using the below

%let crundate= 161028; 
%let irsbrundate = %sysfunc(inputn(&crundate, yymmdd6.)); %let StartofMonth = %sysfunc(intnx(month, &irsbrundate, 0, b), date9.); %let EndofMonth = %sysfunc(intnx(month, &irsbrundate, 0, e), date9.);

with

data reports.PartiFail&crundate;
set reports.PartiFail&crundate;

retain Start_of_Month&StartofMonth ;
format Start_of_Month date9.;
retain End_of_Month&EndofMonth;
format End_of_Month date9.;

run;

Does not  return values for Start_of_Month nor End_of_Month. "." are returned on every row.

However,

%let StartMonth= "01Oct2016"d;
%let EndMonth = "31Oct2016"d;

and

retain Start_of_Month&StartMonth ;
format Start_of_Month date9.;
retain End_of_Month&EndMonth;
format End_of_Month date9.;
run;

does return date values (01OCT2016 and 31OCT2016).

Looking at SAS Macro Variable Viewer is SAS EG, StartMonth returns  "01Oct2016"d and StartofMonth returns 01OCT2016.

Is there something else I need to do, so I dont have to hard code the first day of the month and last day of the month, based off crundate?

LaurieF
Barite | Level 11

Ah - I think you've got the external and internal values of the variables mixed up.

The first block of code has them stored as the external representations. If you convert it to:

%let crundate= 161028; 
%let irsbrundate = %sysfunc(inputn(&crundate, yymmdd6.));
%let StartofMonth = %sysfunc(intnx(month, &irsbrundate, 0, b));
%let EndofMonth = %sysfunc(intnx(month, &irsbrundate, 0, e));
 with

retain Start_of_Month &StartofMonth ;
format Start_of_Month date9.; retain End_of_Month &EndofMonth; format End_of_Month date9.; run;

Note that the intnx functions within the %sysfuncs no longer have the format applied to them, so the %sysfuncs only return the internal values.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation