BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Banu
Obsidian | Level 7
Hi,
I have two quires in Oracle. 1st one is a main query. It contains joins on multiple tables and in this one of the table column value is passing into the Oracle function and it returns value to the main query.

Please suggest me how can write passing value into a Oracle function and returning values into a main query in SAS. Thanks InAdvance
13 REPLIES 13
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Please shaee an example on how you this today, as simplified as possible.
Also, would you like to populate the paramter?
Data never sleeps
Banu
Obsidian | Level 7

I have join as below.

QUERY:

select a.country_name,

b.state_name,

c.city_name,

d.product_type,

call_func(d.product_id) as product_name 

from country a,state b,city c,product_info d

where a.country_id=b.country_id and

b.state_id=c.state_id and

c.product_type_id=d.product_type_id;

In the above quey tables are taken from different users.

FUNCTION:

CREATE or REPLACE FUNCTION call_func(product_id IN NUMBER) 
   RETURN VARCHAR2 
   IS acc_bal NUMBER(11,2);
   BEGIN 
      SELECT a.product_name as produc_name 
      INTO product_name 
      FROM products a,categ b,price c
      WHERE a.product_id = product_id
and a.categ_id=b.categ_id
and b.price_id=c.price_id; RETURN(product_name); END;

Please ignore in case of any syntax errors but query pupose is same.

Please let me know how can I do in SAS.

As of now, we copied required database tables in SAS and then doing SAS joins in proc sql.

So please suggest me in which ways how can i achieve above one.

Thanks In Advance. 

SASKiwi
PROC Star

This post has a clear explanation of how to run unmodified Oracle SQL in SAS:

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Enterprise-Guide/Urgent-help-in-converstion-of-oracle-to-AS/m-p/3...

Reeza
Super User

Search SQL Pass Thru

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
As @Reeza says, you need to use explicit SQL pass thru from SAS. ASFAIK SAS implicit pass thru cannot call UDF's.
If you wish to SAS SQL skip calling the function. To me it looks like it could be solved by using the products table in a join instead. Probably my ignorance of PLSQL, but where does b.categ_id and price_id come from?
Data never sleeps
Banu
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Linush,

if I have only one PL/SQL procedure or function then I can call as mentioned below.

proc sql;

connect to oracle (user="oracleUserName" password="pass" path="serverPath" CONNECTION=GLOBAL CONNECTION_GROUP = SASAML);
       execute( execute MyPackage.MyProcedure(&param1, &param2) ) by oracle;
disconnect from oracle;

quit;

If you see my query, Scenario is different.

For example, I have 10 variables in select clause and one of the variable value is passing to Oracle function and then doing

some business logic overe there and function returns back value into main query and rest of 9 columns are populated directly from other 9 tables by joining the tables.

Ex: select a,b,c,call_func(d) e,f,g from s1,s2......etc..

Please suggest me how can i achieve this in sas. 

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Don't use EXECUTE just use SELECT ... FROM CONNECTION TO ... 

select * from connection to oracle
(/* Place ORACLE code inside the () */
select ......
);
Banu
Obsidian | Level 7
Hi Linush, thanks for your reply. If input tables exist in different databases and those tables are involved in joining condition.inthese case how can I use explicit SQL pass through.Thanks.
Reeza
Super User

The same way you did before. It happens on the server, so if the server could run the code before it still can now. 

If your data structure has changed that's a different story. 

Banu
Obsidian | Level 7
Thanks Reza, Just want to confirm you one thing, Can I include Oracle function query in place of call_func(d.product_id) as product_name. I hope in Oracle we can perform select clause in place of column name in Select statement. Please advice.
Reeza
Super User

If it works on the server it will work in pass through. Either way, test it out, very easy to test. 

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@Banu

With pass-through SQL you can run anything that works directly in Oracle (i.e. using SQL Developer) out of SAS.

SAS sends the code in the pass-through block "as-is" to Oracle for exection. So if your code works out of SQL Developer then it will work out of a pass-through block in SAS.

If you want SAS to execute something in Oracle without returning a result then wrap the Oracle code into an EXECUTE() block, else if you want a result set back then use SELECT * from connection to <oracle> ( <your Oracle SQL> );

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
You got the answer from @Tom.
The from connection to construct is also considered as explicit SQL pass through, and is used when you want to return something to the SAS session.
Data never sleeps

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 6 in conversation