BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Haris
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I am using SAS Enterprise Guide to run simulations with PROC GLIMMIX.  I don't want the results for the thousands of runs to show up in the default SASReport destination and I need to write the random solution to a SAS dataset.  No problem, this code does the trick:

ods results OFF;
proc glimmix; by simulationN; model y = x; random r / s; ods output SolutionR=SRout; run;
ods results ON;

However, if I add any code outside of of the RESULTS ON/OFF block, the effects of ODS RESULTS OFF is negated.  For example, if I want to obtain the mean of random estimates and use PROC SQL to calculate that, the results of all 1,000 simulations will be pushed to ODS SASReport which takes a while to write.

ods results OFF;
proc glimmix; by simulationN; model y = x; random r / s; ods output SolutionR=SRout; run;
ods results ON;

proc sql; select mean(Estimate) from SRout; quit;

Is this a normal SEG behavior or am I missing something?

I cannot use ODS SELECT NONE / EXCLUDE ALL or NOPRINT option because that suppresses the writing of the SolutionR to SAS dataset.

The work-around I use is to use ODS _ALL_ CLOSE before PROC GLIMMIX and then re-enable ODS TagSet.SASReport File=EGSR afterwards.  But I would like to understand this strange behavior of ODS RESULTS commands?

Thank you in advance!

2 REPLIES 2
data_null__
Jade | Level 19

I haven't tested PROC GLIMIX but I use select none and ODS OUTPUT all the time with PROC MEANS.

ods select none;                                                                               
proc means data=&_m._sl n mean std median min max completetypes stackodsoutput;                
   class &trt / order=data preloadfmt mlf missing;                                             
   var &continuous;                                                                            
   ods output summary=&_m._cvars(rename=(variable=_variable_) index=(cvars=(_variable_ &trt)));
   run;                                                                                        
ods select all;                                                                                
Haris
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thanks for setting me on the right path.  Curiously, the location of ODS SELECT NONE matters.  The code I used does not write SRout dataset:

proc glimmix; 
 by simulationN; 
 model y = x; 
 random r / s; 
 ods output SolutionR=SRout; 
 ods select none;
run;

However, if I switch the two ODS lines, the output is produced just like you suggested:

proc glimmix; 
	by simulationN; 
	model y = x; 
	random r / s; 
	ods select none;
	ods output SolutionR=SRout; 
run;

Thanks.

Now, why is ODS RESULTS OFF/ON block negated by the PROC SQL that follows it????? 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation