BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
juanvg1972
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi,

I am working with a SAS Base in a server and I need to connect to a Hadoop based data lake to get some data from HDFS.

I am using SAS/ACCESS to Hadoop and using a libname to Hive, then I run a query in Hadoop. This type of connection works but It's very slow,.It takes more than an hour tu run a Hive query that get 10.000 rows from a 10 millions rows file.

Is there any other way to ge data from Hadoop in SAS?, can I connect to Impala vía libname? in the data lake I have algo Spark installed.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

7 REPLIES 7
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

As I recall, Hive is very slow for querying and is best used to write data, while Impala is best used to query data.

juanvg1972
Pyrite | Level 9

Yes, I know it, but how can I connect Impala from SAS?

Thanks

juanvg1972
Pyrite | Level 9

I have found this:

https://www.sas.com/en_us/software/access-interface-impala.html

I have other question:

Is there any way of execute SAS code (data steps, proc sql and statistycal procs) in a Hadoop in a distrbuted way?

Is there any module to do this?. If I transforma this code to proc ds2 o proc fedsql it will be possible?

Thanks in advance

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

1.  SAS/ACCESS or ODBC ( https://www.cloudera.com/downloads/connectors/impala/odbc/2-5-37.html ) allow you to use Impala from SAS

2. You need SAS Embedded Process to execute SAS code within the Hadoop cluster.

Otherwise you are limited to SQL-type queries.

sriramsahani
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello,

Did you find a way to connect to Impala without using SAS Access to Impala, using the Hadoop engine ?

Regards,

SS

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20
The Hadoop engine connects to Hive.
You may be able to connect to Impala via ODBC?
sriramsahani
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you Chris for confirming

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation