BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
mlogan
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi All,

I need to concatenate almost 100 variables and I don't want to put a comma (,) after each one of them as it is too much of work. My variables has a sequence and it follows the pattern like var1, var2, var5, var11......

Is there a way to concatenate all of them with a short code like new_Var=CAT(var1-var100)

Here is how my data looks like.

DATA Have;
INPUT VAR1 VAR2$ VAR5 VAR10$;
DATALINES;
107 ENG1 10 NY
105 Bio2 15 ON
101 Che1 10 TX
107 Bio1 11 DL
105 Eng2 15 CA
100 Phy2 11 MR
105 Che1 15 DC
;
RUN

Can someone help me please.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

CATX and a variable list. This will include all varialbes that start with the prefix VAR:

Depending on your naming convention you may need other options, google "SAS 9.4 variable lists" to see all the different ways of using abbreviations in your variable lists.

want = catx(", ", of var:);

Note, this works only in a data step since SQL doesn't support variable lists.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Reeza
Super User

CATX and a variable list. This will include all varialbes that start with the prefix VAR:

Depending on your naming convention you may need other options, google "SAS 9.4 variable lists" to see all the different ways of using abbreviations in your variable lists.

want = catx(", ", of var:);

Note, this works only in a data step since SQL doesn't support variable lists.

mlogan
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Thanks Reza, this is so helpful. Do you think if there is a way to bring to concatenated data as separate line instead of side by side? Like for the first observation it will come like:
New_Var
ENG1
NY
Reeza
Super User

It depends on the final output. SAS doesn't have a way of specifying line breaks in a variable that I know of...and I would probably leave that to my reporting step. 

What is your final output destination? If it's HTML, perhaps a line break symbol may be needed, or if its RTF the appropriate tag would be needed. 

mlogan
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Hi Reeza,
My final destination file is Excel. Thanks.
Reeza
Super User

Then that's the ALT+ENTER key you need and you can probably add that in. It won't show in the cell, and I'm not 100% sure Excel would recognize it properly. 

If you use ODS EXCEL you could go down the formula route and use CHAR(10) or "0A"x...

https://excel.tips.net/T002788_Simulating_Alt_Enter_in_a_Formula.html

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

or 

NEWVAR = cat(of VAR1-VAR100);

if you want to use the explicit list that you had.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation