DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

Comparing date intervals of similar observations, linked by an ID within same dataset

Accepted Solution Solved
Contributor
Accepted Solution

Comparing date intervals of similar observations, linked by an ID within same dataset

Hello,

I have one dataset with 12992 observations. I have (half) 6496 different IDs, so 6496 pairs of observations. What I want to do is to compare date intervals within each pair to make sure they don't overlap eachother for the same ID. The dates variables are DATE9. format and informat.

So basically 3 variables: ID, DATE_BEGIN, DATE_END. I am not sure how to proceed with this.

Thank you

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎03-16-2018 03:51 PM
Super User

Re: Comparing date intervals of similar observations, linked by an ID within same dataset

1. Sort your data so that its consecutive ids

2. Use LAG() to get the previous values

3. Check for overlap

@x2PSx wrote:

Hello,

I have one dataset with 12992 observations. I have (half) 6496 different IDs, so 6496 pairs of observations. What I want to do is to compare date intervals within each pair to make sure they don't overlap eachother for the same ID. The dates variables are DATE9. format and informat.

So basically 3 variables: ID, DATE_BEGIN, DATE_END. I am not sure how to proceed with this.

Thank you

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
‎03-16-2018 03:51 PM
Super User

Re: Comparing date intervals of similar observations, linked by an ID within same dataset

1. Sort your data so that its consecutive ids

2. Use LAG() to get the previous values

3. Check for overlap

@x2PSx wrote:

Hello,

Thank you

Contributor

I just did, thank you!
☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation