DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

Communication error when proc export large dataset

Regular Contributor

Communication error when proc export large dataset

PROC EXPORT OUTFILE="\\corp\dfs\Mortgage_Shared\VA019\F01B\Everyone\Shared\Disaster\FEMA Disaster Servicing Loan Details_&mToday._&mTodayTS..xlsb"

DATA= purge.main_mostrecent_dr

DBMS= EXCELCS REPLACE;

SHEET='Loan Details';

SERVER='saspcff';

The above code is a 277K dataset which I am attempting to export as an xlsb file to a share drive.  I believe due to the enormous size I keep getting the following error

ERROR: CLI disconnect failed: Server communication failure.

ERROR: Error in the LIBNAME statement.

I have a similar proc export with a much smaller size that writes to the same folder with no issues. Is it just an issue of timing out and is there a workaround coding wise

Super User

Re: Communication error when proc export large dataset

How many variables do you have? 

300K records isn't really that much to be honest and the file shouldn't be that large either unless you have hundreds of errors. I'm not also sure that SAS supports xlsB (Binary) files. What happens if you try and XLSX file?

Q1983 wrote:

PROC EXPORT OUTFILE="\\corp\dfs\Mortgage_Shared\VA019\F01B\Everyone\Shared\Disaster\FEMA Disaster Servicing Loan Details_&mToday._&mTodayTS..xlsb"

DATA= purge.main_mostrecent_dr

DBMS= EXCELCS REPLACE;

SHEET='Loan Details';

SERVER='saspcff';

The above code is a 277K dataset which I am attempting to export as an xlsb file to a share drive.  I believe due to the enormous size I keep getting the following error

ERROR: CLI disconnect failed: Server communication failure.

ERROR: Error in the LIBNAME statement.

I have a similar proc export with a much smaller size that writes to the same folder with no issues. Is it just an issue of timing out and is there a workaround coding wise

Super User

Re: Communication error when proc export large dataset

Excelcs might be limited to 64k rows.

Use a sensible, text based file format that has no such limitations for data transfer to/from another application.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
How to convert datasets to data steps
How to post code
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation