BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
sasuser31
Calcite | Level 5

I am trying to create one variable for race. The survey software used to collect this information stored each seperate race as a different variable. I have this code below and it is not correctly identifying people as native american or even mixed. Any help would be great! I am sure there is some rule I looked over that is responisble for this.

if complete=1 then do;

/*white*/if racea=0 & raceb=0 & racec=0 & raced=0 & racee=1 then race_c=0;

/*black*/else if racea=0 & raceb=0 & racec=1 & raced=0 & racee=0 then race_c=1;

/*asian*/else if racea=0 & raceb=1 & racec=0 & raced=0 & racee=0 then race_c=2;

/*american indian*/else if racea=1 & raceb=0 & racec=0 & raced=0 & racee=0 then race_c=3;

/*native hawiian*/else if racea=0 & raceb=0 & racec=0 & raced=1 & racee=0 then race_c=4;

/*mixed*/ else if (racea+raceb+racec+raced+racee)>1 then race_c=5;

/*other*/ else if (racea+raceb+racec+raced+racee)=0 then race_c=6

;

end;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Astounding
PROC Star

Your code looks workable.  Take an example or two where you are getting the wrong answer and look at the values of the incoming variables.  Surely it will become obvious at that point.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ballardw
Super User

It would help to provide an example of the data where this isn't working.

This works as intended:

data junk;
   input racea raceb racec raced racee;
/*white*/               if racea=0 & raceb=0 & racec=0 & raced=0 & racee=1 then race_c=0;
/*black*/          else if racea=0 & raceb=0 & racec=1 & raced=0 & racee=0 then race_c=1;
/*asian*/          else if racea=0 & raceb=1 & racec=0 & raced=0 & racee=0 then race_c=2;
/*american indian*/else if racea=1 & raceb=0 & racec=0 & raced=0 & racee=0 then race_c=3;
/*native hawiian*/ else if racea=0 & raceb=0 & racec=0 & raced=1 & racee=0 then race_c=4;
/*mixed*/ else if (racea+raceb+racec+raced+racee)>1 then race_c=5;
/*other*/ else if (racea+raceb+racec+raced+racee)=0 then race_c=6;
datalines;
0 0 0 0 1
0 0 0 1 0
0 0 1 0 0
0 1 0 0 0
1 0 0 0 0
1 0 1 0 0
0 0 0 0 0
;
run;

I would verify that you have values of 0 and not missing in the data. If any of RaceA through RaceE are missing then the result will be missing.

Astounding
PROC Star

Your code looks workable.  Take an example or two where you are getting the wrong answer and look at the values of the incoming variables.  Surely it will become obvious at that point.

sasuser31
Calcite | Level 5

You were right, my format statement was off. Always the small things that get you!!

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

The problem is somewhere outside the code that you have submitted. If it has to do with missing values, you can write code that is more robust by using SAS functions such as SUM and WHICHN 

proc format;
value raceCode
0 = "White"
1 = "Black"
2 = "Asian"
3 = "American Indian"
4 = "Native Hawiian"
5 = "Mixed"
6 = "Other"
OTHER = "Unknown";
run;

data junk;
input racea raceb racec raced racee;
select (sum(of racea -- racee, 0));
    when (1)  race_c = whichn(1, racee, racec, raceb, racea, raced) - 1;
    when (0)  race_c = 6;
    otherwise race_c = 5;
    end;
format race_c raceCode.;
datalines;
0 0 0 0 1
0 0 0 1 0
0 0 1 . 0
0 1 0 0 0
1 0 0 0 0
1 0 1 0 0
0 0 0 0 0
. . . . .
;

proc print noobs; run;
PG

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation