DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

Check to see if macro exists

Accepted Solution Solved
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Check to see if macro exists

I'm trying to check to see if a macro variable exists. I use a %WINDOW to allow users to enter values. The user does not have to enter a value for all options, since in my actual program there are >40 options. I'm trying to find a way to see which ones the user enters a value for.

When testing this, I entered values for the first 2, and left the third one blank (IBCP_SCP). I researched the internet and stumbled across %SYMEXIST and %SYSMACEXIST, but those didn't seem to help (I included the code I tried below).

I appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks!

%WINDOW VOLADJST

#3        @35 "Volume Adjustment Inputs (eg. For 5%, enter 5, NOT .05)" COLOR = BLUE

#6        @10 "Inbound Competitive" COLOR = RED //

@15 "EMS" COLOR = BLACK +2 IBCP_EMS 4 COLOR = GREEN REQUIRED = NO ATTR = UNDERLINE /

@15 "Air" COLOR = BLACK +2 IBCP_ACP 4 COLOR = GREEN REQUIRED = NO ATTR = UNDERLINE /

@15 "Suface" COLOR = BLACK +2 IBCP_SCP 4 COLOR = GREEN REQUIRED = NO ATTR = UNDERLINE

;

%DISPLAY VOLADJST;

/*I got all true's when I ran the step below*/

%macro test;

%if %symexist(IBCP_EMS) %then %put %nrstr(%symexist(IBCP_EMS)) = TRUE;

%else %put %nrstr(%symexist(IBCP_EMS)) = FALSE;

%if %symexist(IBCP_ACP) %then %put %nrstr(%symexist(IBCP_ACP)) = TRUE;

%else %put %nrstr(%symexist(IBCP_ACP)) = FALSE;

%if %symexist(IBCP_SCP) %then %put %nrstr(%symexist(IBCP_SCP)) = TRUE;

%else %put %nrstr(%symexist(IBCP_SCP)) = FALSE;

%mend;

%test;

/*I got all 0's when I ran the step below*/

DATA X;

A = %sysmacexist(IBCP_EMS);

B = %sysmacexist(IBCP_ACP);

C = %sysmacexist(IBCP_SCP);

RUN;

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎11-08-2012 10:55 AM
PROC Star

Re: Check to see if macro exists

Hi,

As Tom pointed out, %symexist() tests whether or not a macro variable (symbol) exists.  %sysmacexist() tests whether a macro exists.

In your case, looks like you are using the %window statement to gather input values from users.  As I understand it, the %window statement you have will always create three macro variables.  But, the user may have left some of the values blank.

Even if a user does not input a value for &IBCP_EMS, the macro variables still exists, and the value is blank.  So %symexist() can't help you.

What you need is a way to test if a macro symbol is blank or not.  Luckily for you, Chang Chung and John King wrote a great paper on methods for doing this:

http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings09/022-2009.pdf

And they concluded with a suggestion for a simple macro, %isBlank, which should work for you, e.g.:

%macro isBlank(param) ;
  %sysevalf(%superq(param)=,boolean)
%mend isBlank ;

%put %isBlank(&IBCP_EMS) ;
%put %isBlank(&IBCP_ACP) ;
%put %isBlank(&IBCP_SCP) ;

HTH,

--Q.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Super User
Super User

You seem to be confusing macros with macro variables.  In your example code TEST is macro and IBCP_EMS and the others are macro variables.  So of course the test for whether the macro IBCP_EMS exists will return 0 (false) unless you have defined it previously with a %MACRO statement.

Solution
‎11-08-2012 10:55 AM
PROC Star

Hi,

As Tom pointed out, %symexist() tests whether or not a macro variable (symbol) exists.  %sysmacexist() tests whether a macro exists.

In your case, looks like you are using the %window statement to gather input values from users.  As I understand it, the %window statement you have will always create three macro variables.  But, the user may have left some of the values blank.

Even if a user does not input a value for &IBCP_EMS, the macro variables still exists, and the value is blank.  So %symexist() can't help you.

What you need is a way to test if a macro symbol is blank or not.  Luckily for you, Chang Chung and John King wrote a great paper on methods for doing this:

http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings09/022-2009.pdf

And they concluded with a suggestion for a simple macro, %isBlank, which should work for you, e.g.:

%macro isBlank(param) ;
  %sysevalf(%superq(param)=,boolean)
%mend isBlank ;

%put %isBlank(&IBCP_EMS) ;
%put %isBlank(&IBCP_ACP) ;
%put %isBlank(&IBCP_SCP) ;

HTH,

--Q.

🔒 This topic is solved and locked.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation