BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
DrBoogie
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi all, I am trying now to set together several files, with this code:

%macro imp;
%let mon = jan feb mar apr mai jun jul aug sep okt nov dez;
data outtab;
set 
%do jahr=16 %to 18;
  %do i=1 %to %sysfunc(countw(&mon));
   %let next_mon = %scan(&mon, &i);
     work.to_&next_mon._&jahr.   
  %end;
%end;
;
run;
%mend;

It works fine. But it could be potentially a problem if one of the files doesn't exist. I want now to incorporate a corresponding check. So I made this change:

%macro imp;
%let mon = jan feb mar apr mai jun jul aug sep okt nov dez;
data outtab;
set 
%do jahr=16 %to 18;
  %do i=1 %to %sysfunc(countw(&mon));
   %let next_mon = %scan(&mon, &i);
     %if fileexist(to_&next_mon._&jahr.) %then work.to_&next_mon._&jahr.;   
  %end;
%end;
;
run;
%mend;

Unfortunately this doesn't work because %if fileexist is always FALSE although the files are available. I guess that %if fileexist cannot be placed in the data step. But what is the alternative way? Do You have some idea?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
data_null__
Jade | Level 19

For SAS data set you need to use EXIST function.

%sysfunc(exist(one-or-two-level-name))

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Please see the FILEEXIST documentation

http://documentation.sas.com/?cdcId=pgmmvacdc&cdcVersion=9.4&docsetId=lefunctionsref&docsetTarget=n0...

They give an example of using FILEEXIST inside of a macro involving the use of macro function %SYSFUNC

--
Paige Miller
Astounding
PROC Star

For macro language to use FILEEXIST, try wrapping it up inside %SYSFUNC:

%if %sysfunc(fileexist(to_&next_mon._&jahr.)) %then work.to_&next_mon._&jahr.;   
DrBoogie
Obsidian | Level 7

Then I get

ERROR: Required operator not found in expression: fileexist(work.to_&next_mon._&jahr.)

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@DrBoogie wrote:

Then I get

ERROR: Required operator not found in expression: fileexist(work.to_&next_mon._&jahr.)

FILEEXIST() is for physical  filenames. 

If you want to test if a dataset exists using a one or two level name then use the EXIST() function instead.

DrBoogie
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks a lot!

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Make you life a lots easier (well less easy than not having like data in many different datasets in the first place) by having all your datasets either in one naming type, or in one libname.  For instance one way using code generation:

data _null_;
  set sashelp.vtable (where=(libname="TMP")) end=last;
  if _n_=1 then call execute('data want; set'); 
  call execute(' tmp.'||strip(memname));
  if last then call execute('; run;');
run;

This will set every dataset in library tmp together - i.e. you don't need to do any calculation or checking the file exists.  You can also use lists:

data want;
  set tmp.jan_: tmp.feb_:  ...;
run;

Note the colon after the prefix, means everything with a prefix jan_ for example.

Various methods of doing such a task, but should never really be needed as storing data out into small blocks with data (dates in this case) is no really a good storage method, very "Excel thinking".

DrBoogie
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank You, it's  a nice idea, but then I have to be sure that there are no other files in the library which is also not an optimal way for me.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Yes, unfortunately with a bad storage solution, you will end up with bad processes.  Another way:

- set all data together, using indsname to create a date variable for filtering

- filter this dataset for the date ranges you want

DrBoogie
Obsidian | Level 7

"Yes, unfortunately with a bad storage solution, you will end up with bad processes"

Yep. but I have no influence at all as for the storage solution. I am a very small person in a very large company. 🙂

data_null__
Jade | Level 19

For SAS data set you need to use EXIST function.

%sysfunc(exist(one-or-two-level-name))

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 6 in conversation