BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
I am auto-creating variable names, and sometimes the names extend beyond 32 characters in length. Rather than manually adjusting the process, I want to override the system limit of 32 characters.

SAS Support doesn't know how to do this; however, I did do this twice before (at a former place of work), but I don't remember exactly how I did it. I think there was some sort of option like setnamelength or something (logical) like that. Any help? Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Investigate the SAS support website http://support.sas.com/ and search on VALIDVARNAME CONFIG option in various DOC references and TECHNOTE and HOTFIX reference items.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
deleted_user
Not applicable
Thanks for the direction. I might be dull: I can't find a means of extending the lengths of my variable names under this designation. The VALIDVARNAME option seems to only allow up to 32 characters in a variable name. Did I miss something? What option could I set to allow variable names like A_VARIABLE_NAME_WITH_MORE_THAN_32_CHARACTERS ? Thanks.
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
This is a SAS software architecture limit - here is the current DOC that mentions the particulars:

Names in the SAS Language
http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/lrcon/61722/HTML/default/a000998953.htm

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation