BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
KoenN
Calcite | Level 5

I use the following macro to count certain events within observations. The data structure is:

ID

Index_date

Event_1_type

Event_1_date

Event_1_drug

--

Event_4_type

Event_4_date

Event_4_drug

ep denotes certain (combined) endpoints: A, B and C.

End point A corresponds to event type 1

End point B corresondes to event type 2 and 3

End point C corresponds to event type 1,2, 3 and 4.

%macro count1(all_eps);

%let k=1;

%let ep = %scan(&all_eps, &k);

%do %while("&ep" NE "");

*/ I assume I have to put some code here to get it working */

EP_&ep._nr = 0;

EP_&ep._ondrug =0;

EP_&ep._offdrug = 0;

%do i=4 %to 1 %by -1;

If Event_&i._type IN(&eventtype.) then

do;

EP_&ep._nr = EP_&ep._nr+1;

if Event_&i._drug = 1 then

do;

EP_&ep._ondrug = EP_&ep._ondrug +1;

end;

Else

do;

EP_&ep._offdrug = EP_&ep._offdrug +1;

end;

end;

If (EP_&ep._ondrug+EP_&ep._offdrug) ne EP_&ep._nr then

do;

Put 'WARNING: missing drug use information'/ ID=//;

end;

%let k = %eval(&k + 1);

%let ep = %scan(&all_eps, &k);

%end;

%mend count1;

%count1(A B C);

run;

What I can't seem to get working is to let '&eventtype.' that is used as the arguments for the IN expression be either '1', '2,3' or ; '1,2,3,4; ; pending on the current value of ep. It has to be something like, but I can't get in working within the macro;

If ep = A then do;

eventtype = 1

end;

else if ep = B then do;

eventtype = %str(2,3);

end;

else if ep = C then do;

eventtype = %str(1,2,3,4);

end;

Thank you for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
KoenN
Calcite | Level 5

I've found it myself. I've added the code

%if %sysevalf(&ep = A) %then

%do;

%let eventtype = 1;

%end;

%ELSE %if %sysevalf(&ep = B) %then

%do;

%let eventtype = %str(2,3);

%end;

%ELSE %if %sysevalf(&ep = C) %then

%do;

%let eventtype = %str(1,2,3,4);

%end;

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Limit your scenario to minimum together with the MLOGIC SYMBOLGEN MPRINT  options.

Data never sleeps
KoenN
Calcite | Level 5

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand. Why do you want me to run with these options? Do you mean as a debug technique? Or do you want to see the logs with these options?

ballardw
Super User

If this is used as part of a datastep I'd look  very closely if I need some of this macro coding.

The loop with seems to be very tied to some fixed variables Event_1_type,Event_2_type,Event_3_type and Event_4_type which makes me think that loop is a likely candidate for an array process.

Is your data structure actually a single column (variable) with those types of values or are those just the variable names?

Can you provide a few rows of data, a description of what your are attempting and an example of what the output for those rows of data would look like.

It is very hard to make much suggestion regarding &eventtype as you don't show where it is assigned or created.

KoenN
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks.

What actually happens in each of the 4 do loops is a bit more elaborate than the sample I provided (but that works). Below a few rows of data (limited to Event_3 and Endpoint B, for brevity)

OBSEvent_1_typeEvent_1_drugEvent_2_typeEvent_2_drugEvent_3_typeEvent_3_drug

What I want is:

OBSEvent_1_typeEvent_1_drugEvent_2_typeEvent_2_drugEvent_3_typeEvent_3_drugEP_AEP_A_ondrugEP_A_offdrugEP_BEP_B_ondrugEP_B_offdrug

The first event for case 1 was 'type 2', which is part of endpoint B. It was not while using the drug; so EP_B_offdrug = 1 and EP_B_ondrug = 0.

Case 2 had 3 events, all from 'type 1'. Type 1 is part of endpoint A. The second one was while using the drug, the other two not, hence EP_A_ondrug = 1 and EP_A_offdrug = 2

Case 4 had a type 4 event, which is not part of endpoint A or B, hence the zero's.

It is very hard to make much suggestion regarding &eventtype as you don't show where it is assigned or created.

Sorry about that. I've removed the syntax in which I tried to assign it, since it didn't work. You can see my comment on where it was. I want to link a certain endpoint with a string(?) of numbers to be put in as arguments for the IN in line   If Event_&i._type IN(&eventtype.) then.

To put it differently, I want this (very much shortened, there are more endpoints and more eventtypes) to happen:

while ep =eventtype = submitted code
A1... If Event_&i._type IN(1) then ....
B2,3... If Event_&i._type IN(2,3) then ...
C1,2,3,4... If Event_&i._type IN(1,2,3,4) then ...

Where the value of the eventtype macro variable are used to see if Event_&i._type corresponds to the event types I'm looking for.

KoenN
Calcite | Level 5

I've found it myself. I've added the code

%if %sysevalf(&ep = A) %then

%do;

%let eventtype = 1;

%end;

%ELSE %if %sysevalf(&ep = B) %then

%do;

%let eventtype = %str(2,3);

%end;

%ELSE %if %sysevalf(&ep = C) %then

%do;

%let eventtype = %str(1,2,3,4);

%end;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation