DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

Change Variable Type

New Contributor

Change Variable Type

Disclaimer: I'm brand new to SAS.  But I've created a new data set named "employee_info" and I cannot figure out how to change the variable type of the salary column to currency.  This is the code I get, which does not specify the individual variables:

Code for Employee_info.PNG

Super User

Re: Change Variable Type

PROC IMPORT doesn’t allow you to change types, but I don’t thing that’s your issue anyways. 

SAS only has two types, numeric and character. Which of those is your variable? There is a currency format that can be applied, which may be what you’re looking to do. 

cbuon wrote:

Disclaimer: I'm brand new to SAS.  But I've created a new data set named "employee_info" and I cannot figure out how to change the variable type of the salary column to currency.  This is the code I get, which does not specify the individual variables:

Code for Employee_info.PNG

New Contributor

Thank you for responding! The format type is numeric, how do I apply the currency format?

Super User

[ Edited ]
data sample;
x= 100000;
format x dollar12.;
run;

proc print data=sample;run;

Use a FORMAT statement as above. 

Super User

When posting code and/or logs, follow the advice here: https://communities.sas.com/t5/help/faqpage/faq-category-id/posting?nobounce

Typing text from pictures is tedious and unnecessary work.

To add to @Reeza: assigning a format does not change the type or the contents of a variable (the type can't be changed at all), but it changes the way the contents are displayed. You still need to use the raw value in comparisons, for example.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
How to convert datasets to data steps
How to post code
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation