BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
slolay
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi All

How is it possible to do a cartesian product for a normal data step/ proc merge and how is it possible to 'switch off' the cartesain result from PROC SQL?

Thanks

Steve

Using as example:

data meds;

input site subject  conmed $10.;

datalines;

1 1234 Med1

1 1234 Med2

;

proc sort;by site subject;

run;

data medhist;

input site subject medhist $10.;

datalines;

1 1234 Ulcer

1 1234 Wind

;

run;

data all;

merge meds medhist;

by site subject;

run;

proc sql;

create table allsql as

select a.*, b.medhist

from meds as a

left join medhist as b

on a.site=b.site and a.subject=b.subject;

quit;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LewisC_sas
SAS Employee

There is no way to toggle the conceptual Caretsian product behavior on/off in PROC SQL. This behavior is not just an inherent part of PROC SQL's behavior, but also of  the SQL language.

On an operational basis, as contrasted with conceptual behavior, PROC SQL has several ways to implement a join. The join technique that comes closest to actually acting like a Cartesian product is the join sequential loop (jsl)  technique. When PROC SQL is run with the _method option on, any instance of a jsl will show up in the method tree as a "sqxjsl."

In the program example that was entered with this question, I obtained the following method tree when I used "proc sql  _method;". The real nice aspect of the tree is that it indicated that PROC SQL was using the merge join techinque (which is generally much more efficient than the join sequential loop technique) for this example. Good luck with the problem that you are attempting to solve.

sqxcrta

sqxjm  <================ merge join

sqxsort

sqxsrc( WORK.MEDHIST(alias = B) )

sqxsort

sqxsrc( WORK.MEDS(alias = A) )

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
art297
Opal | Level 21

Take a look at: http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi30/249-30.pdf  The very last section of that paper shows how to obtain a cartesian product via datastep code.  However, the paper explains most of the various merge capabilities attainable with SAS.

slolay
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks Art

From your reply I realise there is a way to get a cartesian join from data step coding(i just need to read the paper ;-)) but can you tell me if it's possible to 'switch' off the cartesian joining in PROC SQL (maybe it's also in the paper but a yes or no would help for now)

Thanks
Steve

art297
Opal | Level 21

yes, sort of, kind of, maybe.  And, yes, the paper does get into the various kinds of matches.  However, if you are asing "is there a way to get all possible matches without getting all possible matches", no,

slolay
Fluorite | Level 6

Cheers Art, I think you've answered my questions, maybe, sort of, 😉

Will read the paper...

Have a top weekend, farewell from Berlin

Steve

slolay
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Art

How can I stop the PDV holding onto the last value in many-to-many merges?

Using as example:

data meds;

datalines;

1 1234 Med1

1 1234 Med2

;

run;

data medhist;

datalines;

1 1234 Ulcer

1 1234 Wind

1 1234 Phlegm

;

run;

data all;

merge meds medhist;

by site subject;

run;

The required output is:

1 1234 Med1 Ulcer

1 1234 Med2 Wind

1 1234          Phlegm

and not

1 1234 Med1 Ulcer

1 1234 Med2 Wind

1 1234 Med2 Phlegm

I could use the lag function but thought there maybe another way to do the merge to avoid further programming to clean up afterwards

Thanks

Steve

Ksharp
Super User

Just set them all missing.

data meds;
datalines;
1 1234 Med1
1 1234 Med2
;

run;

data medhist;
datalines;
1 1234 Ulcer
1 1234 Wind
1 1234 Phlegm
;
run;

run;

data all;
    merge meds medhist;
    by site subject;
     output;
     call missing(of _all_);
run;

Ksharp

slolay
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks KSharp

LewisC_sas
SAS Employee

There is no way to toggle the conceptual Caretsian product behavior on/off in PROC SQL. This behavior is not just an inherent part of PROC SQL's behavior, but also of  the SQL language.

On an operational basis, as contrasted with conceptual behavior, PROC SQL has several ways to implement a join. The join technique that comes closest to actually acting like a Cartesian product is the join sequential loop (jsl)  technique. When PROC SQL is run with the _method option on, any instance of a jsl will show up in the method tree as a "sqxjsl."

In the program example that was entered with this question, I obtained the following method tree when I used "proc sql  _method;". The real nice aspect of the tree is that it indicated that PROC SQL was using the merge join techinque (which is generally much more efficient than the join sequential loop technique) for this example. Good luck with the problem that you are attempting to solve.

sqxcrta

sqxjm  <================ merge join

sqxsort

sqxsrc( WORK.MEDHIST(alias = B) )

sqxsort

sqxsrc( WORK.MEDS(alias = A) )

slolay
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks LexisC

LewisC_sas
SAS Employee

You are welcome.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 4 in conversation