BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
rghv
Calcite | Level 5

Hi ,

I want to switch my profile from Java Developer to a SAS Programmer.

Please tell me what kind of difficulties will i face in learning SAS and after that getting Job in SAS??

8 REPLIES 8
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Sorry, your question is too vague.  For learning a new programming language you will face the same hurdles as for any other language, syntax and structures.

For getting a job, its the same for any job.

If you need further help consider looking at the SAS provided video training, the vast amount of tutorials, and tips out on the web and here.

RickAster
Obsidian | Level 7

The biggest hurdle in learning SAS is getting a copy of SAS to work on. Fortunately, SAS has an answer for that. See https://www.sas.com/en_us/software/university-edition.html.

Ksharp
Super User

NO . You would not face any obstacle . Since you are Java programmer, I think you are going to become a seasoned SAS programmer very soon. Just keep learning .

rghv
Calcite | Level 5
Hi

I want to go purely into data science domain.
Switch my profile from java developer to a data scientist.
Please guide me what should i do in order to achieve my target.

##- Please type your reply above this line. Simple formatting, no
attachments. -##
Ksharp
Super User

Oh. There are many things you need to learn . Especially learn a lot of Math things like : Statistical theory, Linear Math ............

rghv
Calcite | Level 5
Hi ksharp

What if i go for the analyst profile first by
Doing advance SAS?
Will that be of any benefit to me?

attachments. -##
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@rghv

If you want to get into the analyst/data scientist domain then it's more about getting the subject matter expertise. SAS is the market leader in this domain so you will likely use SAS as one of your tools once you've got the skills - but you need first to get the skills (math, stats, econometrics, and subject matter expertise in at least one industry like insurance, finance, utilities or the like).

It's in the end about applied mathematics so you need to understand the theory, the industry where you have to apply the theory and then also get the skills for the tools like SAS specialized to support you in solving your problems. That's quite a journey for a Java developer and getting the tool skills is likely the least of your challenges.

rghv
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks a lot Patrick for your suggestions.

attachments. -##

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation