DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

Can we insert observations from multiple sources into a sas dataset same time

Accepted Solution Solved
Contributor
Accepted Solution

Can we insert observations from multiple sources into a sas dataset same time

I have a  multiple macros those select record conditionally from database tables and insert output records into a sas datasets.

some times these macros run parallel and insert resulting records into a same dataset.

I am using proc sql  to insert records, but I am losing some of the records.

is there other way we can insert processed records into a dataset.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎10-09-2015 09:21 AM
Valued Guide

Re: Can we insert observations from multiple sources into a sas dataset same time

Is SAS/SHARE available

it was designed to support such concurrent update

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
‎10-09-2015 09:21 AM
Valued Guide

Re: Can we insert observations from multiple sources into a sas dataset same time

Is SAS/SHARE available

it was designed to support such concurrent update

Super User

How long do your inserts take? There is an option FILELOCKWAIT you can use to get SAS to wait for a locked SAS dataset to free up so in effect the inserts happen sequentially.

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/hostwin/67279/HTML/default/viewer.htm#n0fh4oaq31gvqkn1hl...

This option can be applied on a LIBNAME statement which you would need to use just prior to the SQL insert, then clear the LIBNAME immediately afterwards just to be safe.

Respected Advisor

The ways I know of how to achieve or simulate concurrent write to SAS tables:

1. SAS/Share

2. Filelockwait

3. Each process writes to its own table but you have a view over these tables. You then can use the view for downstream processing.

....ideally: You use a database table instead which allows concurrent write (eg. a table in Oracle).

Valued Guide

I think a VIEW is the way to go.

On great feature it provides is the USING clause to define a libref / connection with options like FILELOCKWAIT

🔒 This topic is solved and locked.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation